+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bohn coil leak

Post Likes

Question Bohn coil leak

Got a 13KBTU bohn refrigeration coil with a leak on a copper loop near the TXV. Coil looks to be in reasonably good condition. I am thinking about trying to repair it, but am a little nervous with how thin the copper coils are in these things today. In the old days, I wouldn't think twice about brazing a leak like this, but now?
    What do you guys do, repair or replace?

Post Likes
    Hey, it don't work the way it is now so what the heck???

If you are really afraid I have had good luck with "red hot" epoxy on aluminum evaporators. Try 3TA69 at Grainger.

Post Likes
    Fix it.

No problem.

Post Likes
    JP is right, fix it using your torch and silver solder. Don't use any epoxy or crazy glue.

Post Likes
    Yes, I had success fixing it. I used a small air-acetylene tip and #15 braze. I was just nervous because once I got a copper bend too hot with my oxy-acetylene and it melted the pipe. I was amazed how thin the piping was in that little bohn unit, seemed to melt like aluminum foil.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Jackal, I had the same reservations a W/I cooler two days ago. One condenser feeding two evaporators. BOTH evaporators developed a leak on the exact same U-tube forming the turn of their coils. Already familiar with exasperation of MELTING a big, ole hole in thin-walled tubing, I approached THIS one (actually - two) ever so delicately. A a crude gage of my torch intensity, I first tested the flame on my silver brazing rod. With that "low" flame, was able to complete the repairs without incident.
    Even after years of experience, I still gain a bit more confidence in my torch skills each time I use it.

Post Likes
    Just be careful on the amount of heat you put on old copper. It becomes thin over time and will melt and collapse easily with too much heat.

Post Likes
    Sometimes its easier to use some copper to make a "scab" and braze a little distance around the hole. If the copper is thin at the hole it will almost always fall away. By using the "scab over" method I've been able to fix pin holes and cracks usually without callbacks.

Post Likes
    I've. Used the scab patch on a coil before. If its a blowout on a bend braze it. If its pin holes don't waste your time

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in