Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14

    moving from Canada to US as an HVAC tech

    I don't see myself living here in Toronto my entire life, so I was thinking of moving to warmer parts of the US like California, taxes or Florida. I am currently in a second year of HVAC program, now the question is, should I move after I get the experience and become a journeyman or should I move right after graduating? will I have to go through HVAC school all over in US??

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA.
    Posts
    14,513

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    131
    idk what the laws are down there but you may have to write tests for different tickets or upgrade/aquire ...but i know the job market is scarce down there too so it really doesnt make much sense for me anyways to go south. I did the same program as you did and just picked up a job.if your in the GTA i honestly cant see you having much of an issue finding some form of a start there are so many companies out that way. I would really try it near you home town first to even see if you like doing it then if a good offer from the states comes id take it but for now stay in ontario if you can.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Wester399 View Post
    idk what the laws are down there but you may have to write tests for different tickets or upgrade/aquire ...but i know the job market is scarce down there too so it really doesnt make much sense for me anyways to go south. I did the same program as you did and just picked up a job.if your in the GTA i honestly cant see you having much of an issue finding some form of a start there are so many companies out that way. I would really try it near you home town first to even see if you like doing it then if a good offer from the states comes id take it but for now stay in ontario if you can.

    thanks for your reply, I guess your right.
    still I hate Toronto, especially the long called and depressing weather, maybe I'll change my mind after I graduate and start making money, either way the most important thing at this stage is getting the experience in the trade

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Buffalo NY
    Posts
    3,084
    If you are looking for taxes you should move to New York, they have plenty of them to pay.LOL

    Quote Originally Posted by nuke777 View Post
    , so I was thinking of moving to warmer parts of the US like California, taxes or Florida.

    thanks.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

    The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

    Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by nuke777 View Post
    thanks for your reply, I guess your right.
    still I hate Toronto, especially the long called and depressing weather, maybe I'll change my mind after I graduate and start making money, either way the most important thing at this stage is getting the experience in the trade
    ya getting a start is key ...the work sucks for now and the pay sucks pretty bad too lol but you gotta pay your dues.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    If you are looking for taxes you should move to New York, they have plenty of them to pay.LOL
    surly not more then in Toronto

    you got me though

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,341
    Get your licensing in Canada. It is worth more than you may think... Get experience here too. IMHO
    Never give up; Never surrender!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    126
    Come to Vancouver, lots of work and definitely warmer albeit wetter.
    ___________________________________________
    These Are The Good Old Days

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    14
    thanks to all of your replies guys

    @ trouble time

    may I ask why it is more worth in here??

    @seascott

    I lived in Vancouver for a year, it is beautiful and all but, it rains all the time like in UK.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    474
    I'd stick with larger Canadian cities. More opportunities. If you read post on this site you'll see many in the USA are out of work. Besides, a Canadian taking an americans job might not go over very well.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    where the beer flows like wine
    Posts
    2,871
    Quote Originally Posted by nuke777 View Post
    I don't see myself living here in Toronto my entire life, so I was thinking of moving to warmer parts of the US like California, taxes or Florida. I am currently in a second year of HVAC program, now the question is, should I move after I get the experience and become a journeyman or should I move right after graduating? will I have to go through HVAC school all over in US??

    thanks.
    Why dont you stay there we have way too many people down here

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    126
    With the dollar above parity with the US and a new journeyman making around 100k it's hard to imagine heading South to be a very small fish in a big pond. Maybe once you have some marketable experience and the confidence to strike a decent deal. For now I'd stay where you are and learn everything you can.
    ___________________________________________
    These Are The Good Old Days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event