Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

moving from Canada to US as an HVAC tech

I don't see myself living here in Toronto my entire life, so I was thinking of moving to warmer parts of the US like California, taxes or Florida. I am currently in a second year of HVAC program, now the question is, should I move after I get the experience and become a journeyman or should I move right after graduating? will I have to go through HVAC school all over in US??

thanks.

idk what the laws are down there but you may have to write tests for different tickets or upgrade/aquire ...but i know the job market is scarce down there too so it really doesnt make much sense for me anyways to go south. I did the same program as you did and just picked up a job.if your in the GTA i honestly cant see you having much of an issue finding some form of a start there are so many companies out that way. I would really try it near you home town first to even see if you like doing it then if a good offer from the states comes id take it but for now stay in ontario if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wester399 View Post
    idk what the laws are down there but you may have to write tests for different tickets or upgrade/aquire ...but i know the job market is scarce down there too so it really doesnt make much sense for me anyways to go south. I did the same program as you did and just picked up a job.if your in the GTA i honestly cant see you having much of an issue finding some form of a start there are so many companies out that way. I would really try it near you home town first to even see if you like doing it then if a good offer from the states comes id take it but for now stay in ontario if you can.

thanks for your reply, I guess your right.
    still I hate Toronto, especially the long called and depressing weather, maybe I'll change my mind after I graduate and start making money, either way the most important thing at this stage is getting the experience in the trade

If you are looking for taxes you should move to New York, they have plenty of them to pay.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nuke777 View Post
    , so I was thinking of moving to warmer parts of the US like California, taxes or Florida.

thanks.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

thanks for your reply, I guess your right.
    still I hate Toronto, especially the long called and depressing weather, maybe I'll change my mind after I graduate and start making money, either way the most important thing at this stage is getting the experience in the trade
    ya getting a start is key ...the work sucks for now and the pay sucks pretty bad too lol but you gotta pay your dues.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    If you are looking for taxes you should move to New York, they have plenty of them to pay.LOL
    surly not more then in Toronto

you got me though

Get your licensing in Canada. It is worth more than you may think... Get experience here too. IMHO
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Come to Vancouver, lots of work and definitely warmer albeit wetter.

thanks to all of your replies guys

@ trouble time

may I ask why it is more worth in here??

@seascott

I lived in Vancouver for a year, it is beautiful and all but, it rains all the time like in UK.

I'd stick with larger Canadian cities. More opportunities. If you read post on this site you'll see many in the USA are out of work. Besides, a Canadian taking an americans job might not go over very well.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

I don't see myself living here in Toronto my entire life, so I was thinking of moving to warmer parts of the US like California, taxes or Florida. I am currently in a second year of HVAC program, now the question is, should I move after I get the experience and become a journeyman or should I move right after graduating? will I have to go through HVAC school all over in US??

thanks.
    Why dont you stay there we have way too many people down here

With the dollar above parity with the US and a new journeyman making around 100k it's hard to imagine heading South to be a very small fish in a big pond. Maybe once you have some marketable experience and the confidence to strike a decent deal. For now I'd stay where you are and learn everything you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast