Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Register type

Quote Originally Posted by Freeagent View Post
    Regarding the registers I purchased. One thing I will have given up, is ability to control air flow to individual rooms because of lack of damper. If system require balancing, I guess I may have to deal with that at time

And yes - we are blocking every possible gap in ceiling - So far the ones we have identified amount to area of an 8" diam hole in ceiling!
    Not really. It looks like the registers are double defection, which means each blade and be individually adjusted. You could close off half of the back blades. It will increase noise but at least it will reduce airflow.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    The selection of the type and size of supply and return nozzles is critical to balance in the heating/cooling system. It's not as easy as picking something that has a particular look and calling it a day. Lowes and other big box outlets definitely do not have the proper products to make an educated decision. I have to admit that I'm a little curious about all the outlets being the same size. Are all the rooms identical with identical exposures? Are all the windows the same size and same orientation regarding sun? I ask because a proper load analysis room-by-room might reveal some issues. You said it's been determined that the duct system is adequate but what about the supply outlets? Manual 'T' or manufacturer's specifications will reveal very different airflows for different size diffusers of the same model number.

Once again, this is a science, not a guessing game. Too many people think it's just air so it's okay to guess. Nothing could be further form the truth.
    Thanks for the input. I am an engineer and tend to over-analyse everything and not guess. But in the case of the registers had to just choose between only two 12x6 residential type registers I could source.

The house is existing and was designed for a 2.5ton A/C. Duct sizes vary to different rooms and some rooms have dual registers. HVAC-Calc says duct sizes are OK for exposure. I also ran a duct loss calc to ensure velocities were OK through system and that air handler would be happy. Contractor double checked and agreed.

Original registers were stamped multishutter type and could be balanced to make A/C work OK. Some needed replacement, so we went with same size but type with individual vane adjustment to better direct air. We could have got exact replacements from Lowes but chose the Dayus instead.

The new registers have more open area which may reduce noise, but may reduce throw. We will see. (not many choices available in 12x6 size and we were not going to change boots and repair ceiling when existing size had worked for 40+ years).

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    Not really. It looks like the registers are double defection, which means each blade and be individually adjusted. You could close off half of the back blades. It will increase noise but at least it will reduce airflow.
    Thanks - Good to know. I have not had them in my hands yet, so don't know how far the vanes can be moved.

Tried to look at your pictures of grilles but was bumped out with a message saying that I don't have the privilege yet, go figure.

I agree though with one of the posts in that the boots that hold the older grilles may not have the depth to accommodate the replacement grilles and this needs to be considered. efficiency aside I also hate the look of standard grilles there are grilles that are less offensive but can get pricey. I just did a google image search on architectural grilles and there are many to choose from.

Another thought is if you change the efficiency of the grilles you can disrupt the air flow balance and this may require balancing for adequate heating and cooling distribution. My two cents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12