Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrier EXV

Carrier EXV

I'm working on a carrier 30GTN 050 and the EXV looks to be bad. Part #32gb402544 This valve is damn expensive. Is it wothwhile/possible to try and repair it or is replacement the only option? I know this machine well and I don't think it has ever had a leak or any refrigerant added, so I don't imagine it's trashed up.

If it is the Valve, and for sure, not the Sensors or Cable. You will have to change the valve.

30GT660015 ► ► ► MOTOR REBUILD KIT(PHASE III STYLE)
    32GB660018 ► ► ► O-RING KIT,EXV(FITS ALL EXV'S)
    32GB403424NSS ► ► ► ORIFICE ASY,EXV(PHASE III STYLE)

Why do you think its the exv may I ask?
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Quote Originally Posted by servicetrane View Post
    30GT660015 ► ► ► MOTOR REBUILD KIT(PHASE III STYLE)
    32GB660018 ► ► ► O-RING KIT,EXV(FITS ALL EXV'S)
    32GB403424NSS ► ► ► ORIFICE ASY,EXV(PHASE III STYLE)
    Maybe it's a phase II.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    I'm working on a carrier 30GTN 050 and the EXV looks to be bad. Part #32gb402544 This valve is damn expensive. Is it wothwhile/possible to try and repair it or is replacement the only option? I know this machine well and I don't think it has ever had a leak or any refrigerant added, so I don't imagine it's trashed up.
    What are your temps reading from the temp menu and what is your exv output? Did you ohm it out?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

If it is the valve, and you go to all the trouble of pumping it down. I would change the whole valve. Far less chance of having to go back and doing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    What are your temps reading from the temp menu and what is your exv output? Did you ohm it out?
    I made sure the sensors read right in the menu, the one in the end of the barrell by the valve and the one in the compreessor for superheat. I did not ohm the valve out.

which is the complete model of the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by chilbrig View Post
    If it is the valve, and you go to all the trouble of pumping it down. I would change the whole valve. Far less chance of having to go back and doing it again.
    I agree don't forget to changeout the orifice too.
    UA 100

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    I made sure the sensors read right in the menu, the one in the end of the barrell by the valve and the one in the compreessor for superheat. I did not ohm the valve out.
    May I ask how you don't know if it's the EXV driver board? What is the chiller doing? How did you determine the valve is bad?

The other valve is working ok, but that doesn't mean the board is not bad. Could be bad on that one circuit I guess. Is the orifice included with the valve or is that a seperate part number? I've never seen the orifice before but couldn't it just be cleaned?

It can be tricky checking the sensors, and nine times out of ten it is a problem with the sensors. It's not a bad idea to change both sensors just to be sure, then start checking the other items if nothing improves. Make sure the sensors are pushed in all the way, and if they have been changed, trace them out. Make sure they go where they should on the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast