Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Compressor grounded out... bought new one and it grounded that one out, too

I'm working on a Trane 3.5 ton AC unit that has the "pumpkin" compressor. It was having a hard time starting up, so they put in a 3-1 start kit. It had a hard time starting up, but it would eventually be able to start. I went there and the compressor was an American Standard GP433-3H1-JA. 3.5 hp 1 phase 200-230v

It was grounded out. I bought a Copeland CR47KQ-pfv-980wb and installed it yesterday afternoon. After everything was said and done, I turned it on and it tripped the breaker after the compressor was having a hard time starting like the old one they had. and now the compressor is grounded out... what could be causing this?

They told me that they bought the unit a little over 3 years ago from ARS. after a year, ARS, sent them a letter saying the unit needed an annual "maintenance." A week after they did the maintenance, the unit started acting up and ARS only offered a year warranty so they were going to charge them another 2k to put in a new compressor. I believe they did something underhanded, but now I'm trying to figure out what. I have to take this compressor out that I put in yesterday and swap it out again.

Line voltage okay? Is there any voltage drop across the contactor? Did the new compressor come with new start components and were they installed? Is it a winding short or a ground short? Are you sure it's not the condenser fan causing the trip? Are any of the wires to the compressor or fan cut through and shorting out on the cabinet?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Why did you go from a Trane compressor to a Copeland ?
    Compressor should go out on internal overload.
    How are you checking the compressor ?
    The Trane compressor should be under warranty if it's under 5 years old.

Lets start with the basics and find out how many amps the lines are drawing with only the fan running. Take leads off comp, call for cool, and have amp meter ready.

Check if theres any amps in the ground wire as well if you can.

Also check volts on contactor with fans on ... on each leg to ground, then across legs ... make sure each leg has 110 and across both have 220.

Did you check with meter from comp terms to copper lines or compressor body, to verify its the compressor thats grounded?

If you went from Trane "pumpkin' to copeland scroll, and they both grounded (if they did)...its not the compressor CAUSING the issue. Its something external causing the compressor to BECOME the victim......

Is your outdoor disconnect fused? Are they blowing fuses before breaker pops?

When this happened, was the compressor hot as hell? It wont take but a few secs of LRA to make it too hot to touch.

Im going with improper supply voltage at / to the compressor. I wouldnt even bother buying another one till you verify and eliminate every other possible causes.

You'll only be keeping the compressor companys in business on your own.
    “If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants.” ~ Sir Isaac Newton

I'm learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma!!!

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Friend called me in the same situation, (cept he used the rught compressor), and it wasn't the compressor. New one or the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Why did you go from a Trane compressor to a Copeland ?
    Compressor should go out on internal overload.
    How are you checking the compressor ?
    The Trane compressor should be under warranty if it's under 5 years old.
    Have to agree.
    LN

check to be sure you didn't hook up "RUN" wire to "START" terminal or Visa versa.
    Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H.L. Hunt

"In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it." John uskin

The "pumpkin" compressor is called a Climatuff. Practically indestructible from my experience (though I'm sure there have been many exceptions). I think that Copeland number you gave is too large of a compressor for 3.5 ton, btw.

Took that compressor I got and had it replaced with the same kind. It was probably just bad and i was right. I put another one in and it works like a charm.

Climatuff compressors are known to be pretty much bullet proof, the only good thing trane ever made.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    Climatuff compressors are known to be pretty much bullet proof, the only good thing trane ever made.
    oh here we go.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    oh here we go.
    No I'm not gonna go there, just that I work on so darn many of them nowadays.
    I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast