Thread: Please Help: Chosing a Gas HE Furnace

Post Likes

Please Help: Chosing a Gas HE Furnace

I am replacing my current 80K BTU forced hot air by oil heating system with gas. The house has been manually J-sized and I was told I need a 60K BTU furnace.

The gas company in the area is offering reduced pricing on high efficiency American Standard furnaces. I can pick up a 96.7% variable speed two stage 60K BTU furnace (Model AUH2B060A9V3VA) for cheap money after rebates. However, I was told this equipment is unreliable and very difficult and expensive to fix (i.e. the boards on this unit need to be replaced and cost $500 to swap out). I would like to put in a furnace that will be reliable as I cannot afford to have the furnace down during the winter.

I also have the option of a slightly oversized 95% variable speed two stage 80K BTU furnance (AUH2B080A9V3VA). I have been told this type of furnace has been around for almost 10-years now and is more reliable than the 97% furance. Alternatively there is another 60K BTU furnace I can choose which is 92.1% efficient (AUC1B060A9361A). I don't know anything about this furnace but would assume it is the most reliable of the three as it has the lowest efficiency rating (I was told the higher the rating the more complicated and thus the less reliable).

I don't know if the reliablity concerns are real so any feedback would be appreciated on American Standard and these specific models if anyone has any experience with them.

Post Likes
    The 60,000 BTU and the 80,000 BTU models you mention are identical except for 1 burner and 1 heat exchanger cell. They area very nice, reliable product. I would want the smaller one. The AUC has been around a long time. Not going to say it is any more reliable. Ask your dealer about Trane's extended warranty program. I'd do this with anything these days

Post Likes
    I would disagree that the higher the AFUE the lower the relaibility. In a very simple sense that may be true (the more parts there are the more stuff there is to fail), but in general the high efficiency furnaces work great IF they are installed properly and paired with a well designed duct system. DONT oversize, that will lead to more problems than a high eff model will. Make sure your ductwork can handle the volume of air, and make the choice based on which contractor you feel most comfortable with.
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

Post Likes
    It sounds like someone is giving you bad information. Was it an American Standard dealer that has all three and he wants to sell you a specific unit that they have?

Post Likes
    Find a good tech or plumber, and have him get the discounted unit from Nat grid, you'll be alright, and you'll save some $ this winter in heating your home.

Post Likes
    Kyler

I would take Baldie's advice and go for the first choice, the 60K Two stg VS model. You will need a good two stg thermostat for best functionality of that furnace. I would want the HW mdl #8321.

What is your location and what are you doing about AC?

I do suggest that ductwork system be thoroughly inspected.

You should see some good savings with this gas furnace over oil.

Post back.

IMO

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    It sounds like someone is giving you bad information. Was it an American Standard dealer that has all three and he wants to sell you a specific unit that they have?
    National Grid, the gas provider in my area only offers American Standard if you want to get the discount. The furnances I was told can cost $2,000 but you can get one for $300 after all rebates and discounted pricing offered by National Grid.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Kyler

I would take Baldie's advice and go for the first choice, the 60K Two stg VS model. You will need a good two stg thermostat for best functionality of that furnace. I would want the HW mdl #8321.

Post back.

IMO
    Tigerdunes,

I live in the Boston area and am also replacing the A/C sytem. I had a Carrier 2000 10-SEER 3 ton condensor with matching coil that just died. The unit was way oversized according to the manual J-sizing which says I need a two ton unit.

Along with the 96.7% 60K furance above I have been quoted for either an American Standard 2-ton 16 SEER dual stage compressor (Allegience 16) (4A7A6024E1) with a 3-ton platinum coil (4TXCB004CC3) or an American Standard 2.5 ton 15 SEER single stage compressor (4A7A5050A1) and 3 ton? coil (4CXCB036CC3).

If my basement is finished and not much of the ductwork is exposed what kind of teting can be performed?

Also the contractor wanted to install a Vision Pro 8000 thermostat. I don't know much about the t-stat you mentioned above but will look into it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Kyler

Post back.

IMO
    tigerdunes,

You should apply for Professional Membership.

Please see the links for Professional Membership and the AOP posting rules in my signature.

Post Likes
    American Standard is Trane, they come off the line and 1 goes left and 1 goes right, they get different badges. You will have a good reliable furnace. I agree while your at it get a nice A/C installed possibly a dual fuel gas and heatpump, runheat pump until temps get low 40's to upper 30's then go gas. Take advantage of this deal. You won't be sorry.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kyler View Post
    National Grid, the gas provider in my area only offers American Standard if you want to get the discount. The furnances I was told can cost $2,000 but you can get one for $300 after all rebates and discounted pricing offered by National Grid.
    Does National Grid not refer contractors?

I too would take advantage of the discounted furnace. But as Mlstark suggested, make certain you have it installed by a qualified technician who is used to condensing furnaces and who can set that furnace up properly for staging and blower control. These furnaces are not plug and play. They need to be properly set up after installation.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    I agree with Trane about getting a heat pump installed if you are having new cooling put in.
    Training is important!

Post Likes
    CKing,

I chose the A/S 96.7% furnace and the A/S Allegience 16 two-ton condensor. I won't be able to comment on the A/C until next Summer but I am very happy so far with the furnace. It is extremely quiet and temperature fluctuations are minimal compared to my old oil fired furnace.

Post Likes
    Kyler

The 60 K mdl AmStd var spd 2 stg furnace?

What thermostat mdl?

I notice you went down in size of AC condenser from a three ton to a two ton XL16i. For what size living area?

IMO

Post Likes
    cking,

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post advice here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kyler View Post
    CKing,

I chose the A/S 96.7% furnace and the A/S Allegience 16 two-ton condensor. I won't be able to comment on the A/C until next Summer but I am very happy so far with the furnace. It is extremely quiet and temperature fluctuations are minimal compared to my old oil fired furnace.
    Isn't comfort nice when you don't have to hear all of that air noise usually associated with a forced air system.

For the cooling, don't let it get too warm or humid in the house before turning on the cooling system. I think you are going to like feeling cooler at what ever temperature you normally keep your thermostat at.
    Training is important!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in