Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi,
    We use a granular bentonite product that is commonly used in the drilling industry. Benseal is one trade name, 8/25 mesh bentonite is the spec. When mixed with water it creates a watertight seal that has the consistancy of very thick peanut butter. It never dries out and can re-hydrate for its entire life. Cost = 12.00 for 50 pound bag, enough to seal about 50 holes.
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

Nice, thanks for the info. I think it was $12 a tube for the 2 part epoxy and it was basically toast after one job. I guess the only other questions would be regarding heat transfer. I understand how the properties of bentonite would create a water tight seal but would you get a significant amount of heat transfer from the inside of the house to out during the heating season? Is there something else providing a thermal barrier or is it fine as is?

Sorry for derailing this thread slightly.

Cheers

I do not feel that heat transfer would be an issue, it is just goop. I would expect it to have the same transfer rate as the concrete we are sealing.

Technical note: my zone is not Nova Scotia! When I was there in the late 70's in August, I had to go to the store and get more clothes! I was freezing. lol
    Eric
    Eric Sackett
    weberwelldrilling.com
    Delta P= 8 ATA
    www.youtube.com/weberwelldrilling

I don't know anything on the topic, but it sounds like an interesting subject that I'm going to actively research and find out more about. I think that it would be an interesting and ground breaking development in the industry. I'm still learning and working on my degree for HVAC/R, but this is something that I would like to see come into being.

nothing talked about here is ground breaking....it has all been done many time before.
    Dewayne Dean

www.palacegeothermal.com

See my live system data here:

We Heat and Cool with Dirt

Priority HW with W:W units can use but ++more baseboard for heating with under 120*F HW; however, R-22 it was easier on everything, and just a fraction of what is left to be worked on, I believe. (+fancoils, etc. WP correct on SOME as $$$ add up)

Full sized condensing/HotWater-INSTANT-ON-DEMAND "hybrids" "combinations" "Priority" that you know makes HW for BOTH space heating and HVAC Air IS working very well since 2003 and several with radiant high mass heating and heat recovery applications and Potable HW and Heat-Reclaim in cooling to HW, all in one, not rated in that mode, but still rated..

First W:W in 1981 runs today on baseboard and very well governed supplemental control ranges (other zones, than just the GT-Boiler-Zones, helps and some "spot electric" additions, mats, f/air, radiation )

However, if nGas back-up, then shut off the 410a around 104 deg outlet (even at 4 gpm/ton) because 10-11cent electric (total billing averaged with transport charges) is nearly the same with $12 totally billed-averaged nGas per MCF)

You may see highest COP's
    don't yield lowest costs
    compared to
    annual $COP$ in low to medium variable outputs, just like 3-staged dual compressor sm+lg=3rd as both (before supplemental back up being a 4th staging) .

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...mal_heat_pumps

although highest speed is ETL/EnergyStar(tm) 3rd party rated 30.8 or 31+ EER. and etc.

AHRI Trane, CM, Water Furnace, to Hydro-Temp (of AR, not hydro-delta-hyd-ht of PA) Variable (VFD, Iq) Compressor staging blended in Low-Med speed "raw data: 40-to-42.1 EER" etc., respectively to OEM's.
    Then just for "boiler-hydronics" and baseboards, you will average higher than COP's $ wise say adding enough baseboard and in parallel runs (a lot) for up to 116*f flows over 4gpm per ton HW outputs::: talk to your low temp - say - solar and condensing boiler pros - and pay for the consults, to save many dollars throughout all your considerations.

Pushing past 126 outlet temps r410a at slower flow rates with say 106*f return temps is really very hard on compressors. BUT ASK YOUR GT- LOW TEMP DISTRIBUTION PRO, and get some performance guarantees included and checked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12