Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Split System Replacement

Hi,
    I've been told by a professional that I need to replace my 6 yr old split system unit. He said that the pipes have apparently changed size so it means I will have to replace all the pipe work to the unit. I'm on the ground floor of a 3 storey block of apartments so have been quoted a bomb for the work. Is this really the case with regard to 6 yr old pipes and is there any adaptor or something that could fix the problem?
    Thanks for your help in advance!

Why was the professional there in the first place?
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I thought I was up for a replacement unit as other tenants have mentioned their units have been replaced and everything was built/installed at the same time but wanted to check I didn't just need the unit to be re-gassed.

So the unit is currently working?

First, if your unit has a leak in it. Its best to locate the leak first, and then determine if it can be repaired, or if only one part of the system needs to be replaced. Most 6 year old systems, can be repaired, or only need a part changed, not the whole system.

If you were to need a whole new system, not all brands will need a different size line set. So you should get other bids from different contractors on different brands.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I am still stuck on if she called cause the system was not operational or if she called because she just thought it was time to change the unit.

I can't see a leak and the professional didn't mention that he did either. It currently blows hot air so not refrigerated air at all. It doesn't blow hot air either. I dont think it's a particularly good brand (dunn air) so they assumed because other units need to be completely replaced they all do. I'm worried I'm being taken for a bit of a ride though but don't know enough.

Call another service company to come and check it. An tell them your interested in having it repaired, not replaced. Then make your decision on what to do after they tell you what is wrong.
    Contractor locator map

I would call another company for an opinion, specially if you got the same company the other tenets did. You would have to have some major issues to reach the same cost as replacing both the condenser unit, furnace, and all the copper.

Luckily for you the wonderful people who run this site, like Beenthere, have installed a tool for people just like you to find local help. http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html use that link to find local business in your area.

Copper is at a premium right now it will be well worth your time and discomfort to get another company to check it out.

Thanks, a 2nd opinion will be arranged. Is what I was told about the pipes being a different size now correct? Just in case I do need to replace the whole unit.
    Just to clarify, I'm not getting refrigerated (cold) air or heating so it's basically just blowing air which is why I called someone to look at it.

We can't really answer that question correctly with the information you have given us. It maybe that the system he is installing requires a change in copper but even if it does there is something out there that wouldn't so the answer to your question is, "Could be true but doubtful that it MUST be changed." I can't believe that there is only one unit that fits your needs and it just so happens that all the copper has to be changed.

Since we don't know what size your current line set is, we can't tell you if a new unit will need a different size line set.
    Contractor locator map

Thanks for your help! I'll see what happens after another service call.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast