Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

don't quit

Quote Originally Posted by Dog1 View Post
    Thanks again guys for the general electrical advice. I don't know enough to get to specific, maybe something like how to check if a capacitor is bad or not would be helpful. I'm trying to get my post count up so I can study more educational stuff. My instructor is really smart but he's so busy with so many students it's hard to get one-on-one time. I'm really disapointed with the whole tech school scene. It's just a big business trying to churn people out for money., but I have got to get my diploma/degree.You still get out of it what you put in but I've made up my mind to teach myself as much as possible.
    Dog don't quit you will be a good technician if you keep digging,,,,,Also if you want lots of video information how to check a capacitor go on UTUBE lots of the things you want to know is there,,,,,,just write how to check a capacitor in Googles or UTUBE

To check a capacitor,

place your meter on MFD,
    read the capacitors label and find the microfarad rating which will be in a form like this 15(the code for this symbol is alt + 230),
    then with all wires disconnected place one lead on each terminal,
    the label should also say the range that will look like this 10(the code for this symbol is alt + 241),

in this example if my meter read 16.5 - 13.5 the capacitor is good,
    anything above 16.5 or below 13.5 is a bad capacitor.

You will usually be able to notice a bad capacitor by the warped top or sides, it maybe sucked in or bulging out however, it could be bad without those warps.

If a compressor or a fan motor is not working it is always a good idea to check the capacitor first then check the motor/compressor. You should always do both if there is a capacitor present regardless if the motor is bad or not.

Last but not least, ALWAYS check to make sure that the capacitor being used is the appropriate microfarads for the motor/compressor it is connected too! It drives me nuts when a technician orders a new motor and forgets the cap. then tries to reuse the old one and its the wrong size. I personally always change the cap. if I change the motor.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It seems you may be getting a little overwhelmed with all the information being thrown at you in school.
    Don't worry. Once you start, you'll probably being running planned service maintenance calls. This is your opportunity to play with the equipment, and put all that schooling to the test. Read manuals and don't be afraid to take your time when you're confused. Call a fellow tech, or post on this site.
    This site is fantastic for learning, and understanding the trade.

As far as electrical troubleshooting.... Well, I'm afraid to say, one day you'll just "get it". Just like math. You will smack yourself in the head and say, "damn, that's all there is to it??? What the hell was so hard about this?"
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Huang View Post
    ...................It is better to take power of than getting buzzed,,............
    That's debatable........

Quote Originally Posted by Huang View Post
    ............Stand clear of new changes {just in case you made a bad connection somewhere,,.......
    Sounds like sage advice to me........
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Talking Know what you are checking first

May a time test meters are blown by wrong settings. Understand from the wiring drawing what you are measuring at that part of the circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog1 View Post
    Any general tips on using meters in the field. I'm in tech school studying the electrical part and not getting it yet. Just curious on any advice I can get. Thanks.
    Maybe your teacher isnt the best at teaching. They arent all good.

Ask your teacher if he can bring in something to show you hands on ... because you arent quite grasping book time. He will understand.

Some of us need a visual.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123