air intake in a closet?

We are looking into getting a replacement system and had one contractor saying he would like to move the air intake into the closet due to the conditions of the garage. The system is an amana or a carrier variable speed. I was wondering if this was common or a good idea?

Define air intake?

The intake handler.

My assumption is the air handler/furnace? If so, it's no biggie. It's done all the time.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

The return may be placed in a closet but only if it isn't restricted by doors, etc. You will need a louvered door or some other method of allowing sufficient return through the closet from the rest of the house. I prefer returns that are centrally placed in the home so you get a better return flow from each section of the home and there is less likelihood that the returning air will have to try to pass through multiple restrictions such as closed doors.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Yea I was talking about the inside unit I just thought it was always put in the garage. I did not know if the noise would be too great or water leaks were something to consider?

ok so you are talking about the entire air handler and not just the return. No problems at all as long as you will still get proper return air flow. I will assume this is a pantry, utility closet.

If the unit is installed correctly you really shouldn't have any abnormal noise or water issues. Water leaks are always a potential if the unit freezes up or some issue arises with the condensate drain getting clogged. Done right the unit should have a water level shut off float to help prevent overflows from the pans.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766