Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Blowing start caps WHY OH WHY

Title a little more dramatic than need be. Went on call other day- dual evap med temp walk in froze up. Made few observations. We just took cust from another company. first off cycle timer not even in circuit 2nd and most contributing factor 2 out of 3 fan motors wrong rotation. Before installing correct motors I defrosted with hot water like i usually do when its an option. After enabling unit cleaned up and something didnt seem right Went on roof checked unit and sure thing comp short cycling on overload. Found start cap no good. There was a hole in the rubber membrne but no charring or debris. Relaced start components and she took right off. Cap and relay had just been replaced in March per date. Question is could starting against an abnormally heavy load (from the hot water) had played a role in blowing start cap? There is no CPR as its medium temp. What kind of factors contribute to cap and other component failure?
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

"Never an always and always a maybe"

I think power fluctuations kill capacitos.

I agree however in this case it was running fine an hour prior to doing my work inside the box. Nice trying to explian that one.
    "It's just like it doesn't work. I mean it seems to be ok now, but it usually like never works"

I would be looking at the potential relay, that is usually what causes SC to blow.

yeah the relay hangs up and boom. makes sense to me.

Low voltage condition,defective potential relay,drop out voltage to high, compressor winding values have changed.

Trust No One.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1234 View Post
    ...Cap and relay had just been replaced in March per date. ..
    1. Most likely the relay is a less than perfect replacement choice. OEM is best.
    2. Never hurts to go back to the manufacturer's specs for both start cap and relay.
    3. Also check the running capacitor if it has one.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Gotta go with Lynn on this one. Also, many SCs come with Bleed Resisters, but they can be purchased separately if not included. I'm a bit weak on my single phase, but the bleed resister does seem to help the Start Kit live a lot longer. Hope that helps.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Actually yes the pot relay was an aftermarket. In this case I replaced all 3 components with OEM parts. If memory serves the contacts on a pot relay are between 2 and 5 and are ... ... N.C (? cant remember if theyre NC or NO and I know a current relay is the opposite regarding the contacts. I have never seen a pot relay with the pick up voltage rating on it so you do you guys troubleshoot starting relays. So a start cap that stays in the circuit to long can go then i take it. Strange usually I see them blown up on end or expanded or guts all over- but not always the case I guess.

potential relay 2 and 5 is coil and between 1 and 2 is NC

Iced evap causes short cycling caps rated for starts per hour. short cycling a common cause

Oops.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Please check the voltage rating on the cap. It should be greater than the voltage to the compressor. Example if the compressor is 220V then the cap should be say a 330V.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast