5/16 liquid line 2.5 ton rheem?

Will 5/16 iquid line work on a new rheem 2.5 heat pump? Its suppose to be 3/8. About 70 foot lineset. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I think it would work. I would not do it. If I noticed it on a service call I would note it on the invoice.
    Last edited by fearlessfurnace; 09-01-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: not to note-- worst typist on the net

Hard on compresor at 70 ft. Tx or piston ???

Rheem, you'll be OK unless you have a 28' or more vertical separation.

Rheem instructions tell you exactly what you can do with linesets and lengths

youll get about 2 tons of capacity if your lucky. Also not doing your compressor lifespan any favors. 70 ft is a pretty long run for 5/16. Are you able to replace the line?

Rheem doesn't say if there's a capacity loss using 5/16 but I can't fathom it would be 1/2 ton.

I remember the last 2.5 ton rheem 15.5 seer actually let you have a 1/4 inch liquid line for25' or so.

If it were a strait cool it might at least cool. On a HP! Does not sound like a good idea.

Thanks for your input. This is what ive learned. According to the rheem instrctions i should use the SMALLEST liquid line size permitted to MAXIMIZE COMPRESSOR RELIABILITY. PAGE 10 7.3 I was worried about the line size cause changing it was going to be a @#%&! And expensive. According to the line size chart im good up to a hundred feet with 27 ft vertical rise. Installed unit today and shes purring like a kitten! also learned its hot as heck in attic in ga!