Thread: Heat Exchanger

Confused

Had my fall service done yesterday (I know, a little late) and my heat exchanger has a bunch of small holes in it. This is an Armstrong Air Compak 10 that is only in its 7th year. Is this normal? The service tech showed me all of rusted areas and holes (about the size of a pencil eraser). It's costing me an arm and half a leg to get this fixed. While I'm not happy about the price, I'm more concerned about quality of this unit. Is there anything I can do to make this replacement exchanger last any longer? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Originally posted by humid1
    HArmstrong Air Compak 10 that is only in its 7th year. Is this normal? The service tech showed me all of rusted areas and holes (about the size of a pencil eraser).
    If it's only 7 years old and you have those size holes you might want to make sure you duct work is the correct size and make sure your venting is correct would be were I would start.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I've been running the Dirt Demon Merv 6 pleated filters for the last three years. Could this have restricted airflow enough to case the failure? This particular unit has one 14x20 return and another 14x20 return that, when the filter is removed, is actually a 4" round duct. I asked the service tech about using these filters vs. the generic blue filters (which fit terribly) and he said to stick with the pleated filters. I'm in central NC and the tech said that the quality of the product, the gaspack being outside, and the humid weather all take a toll on these units. My second floor Armstrong (located in the attic) looked new. Anyway, just wondered if the restricitve filters might have caused an early demise. Thanks again for any advice...

Are you saying the return duct going into the house is 4"?
    I am a bit confused about your last post. If the main return from your home is 4", you have a big problem.
    Proud supporter of Springfield Millers and Oregon Ducks.

Hmm

I was worried that might be confusing. The return in the living room is 14x20 and runs to the Compak. A second return, located in an adjacent room, is framed for 14x20 and takes a filter the same size. However, sheet metal was installed by the original HVAC contractor to reduce this to a 4" duct that feeds into the same fullsize return. This 4" run is about a foot long. All of this is in the same wall, under the stairs to the second floor. Picture this as a 'T' with the left side of the 'T' 14x20, the right side 4", and the trunk 14x20. Hope this helps.