Thread: How many tons, BTUs, etc. was my Intercity furnace? Anyone have Intercity info?

Post Likes

How many tons, BTUs, etc. was my Intercity furnace? Anyone have Intercity info?

I had my 17 year old horizontal furnace replaced yeserday after motor went bad and bad wheel, busted bracket and motor shaft bindings were found. Technician stated the new Carrier 4 ton installed was equivalent to the old furnace which he said was also 4 ton. We'd been without A/C for several days and the house was warm (85 ish) but it took a really long time to cool down the house after being installed, and I'm concerned the new furnace isn't pushing out the A/C as strong as the old one. The old furnace was an Intercity model# GNI080A016DIN. Does anyone have info that could tell me the stats on it so I can compare and make sure we haven't swapped out less powerful furnace? Thanks.

Post Likes
    An AC removes heat and is meant to maintain a temperature so if it was 85 it should take a long time to cool the house.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    By the way, carrier was able to tell me that this was a 90,000 BTU/h unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    An AC removes heat and is meant to maintain a temperature so if it was 85 it should take a long time to cool the house.
    Thanks for the response. It's comfortable at 76 degrees right now but I'm closely monitoring it today as we get into late afternoon to see how it holds up (I'm in Texas). We usually keep it about 75 when we're at the house, and moving the temperature a couple degrees down from 77 or so when we get home from work typically doesn't take too long.

Yesterday after the new furnace was installed it took about 2 hours to move the temperature down 4 degrees in the zone the furnace was replaced for, and another 4 hours to move it another two degrees. I wasn't expecting it to take 7 hours to move the temp 5-6 degrees. Does this speed still seem reasonable.

Post Likes
    What temp was it outside? If it's into the 90's and sunny it could take an hour to drop th etmeperature just 1 degree for a properly sized system.

The blower on you old unit was 4 ton so the new unit should provide the same amount of airflow for the AC if installed correctly. The old furace was 80k BTU's, the new carrier is slightly larger in heating capacity.

Did they change the coil too? or the outside unit? What model numbe is the outdoor unit?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    What temp was it outside? If it's into the 90's and sunny it could take an hour to drop th etmeperature just 1 degree for a properly sized system.

The blower on you old unit was 4 ton so the new unit should provide the same amount of airflow for the AC if installed correctly. The old furace was 80k BTU's, the new carrier is slightly larger in heating capacity.

Did they change the coil too? or the outside unit? What model numbe is the outdoor unit?
    Thank you for your response. Yes, it was hot and sunny - mid 90s to low 100s during the time installation was finished until the evening when the inside temperature in that zone read 79.
    If you know the blower on the old unit was 4 ton and not larger, then I think I'm okay. I was concerned the air wasn't being pushed out as strongly as it should and we may have replaced a 5 ton with a 4 ton or something. It's hard to quantify (and many of the vents are high), but it seemed like the air wasn't coming out of the vents with the same force (but it's hard to say for sure).
    The coil wasn't changed, just the furnace itself. Everythign else seemed to work fine (and the coolant and outside unit were checked to make sure everything was working appropriately). It was going to be expensive to replace the blower motor/wheel/bracket/etc (assuming the tech could find an appropriate substitute), and since the furnace was original to the house (17 years old), it seemed to make since to go ahead and replace the whole furnace rather than put a big bandaid on it for a few years. I can't tell you the model for the outdoor unit right now as I'm at work. Does that help tell you what size furnace we should have?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by walrushvac View Post
    Thanks for the response. It's comfortable at 76 degrees right now but I'm closely monitoring it today as we get into late afternoon to see how it holds up (I'm in Texas). We usually keep it about 75 when we're at the house, and moving the temperature a couple degrees down from 77 or so when we get home from work typically doesn't take too long.

Yesterday after the new furnace was installed it took about 2 hours to move the temperature down 4 degrees in the zone the furnace was replaced for, and another 4 hours to move it another two degrees. I wasn't expecting it to take 7 hours to move the temp 5-6 degrees. Does this speed still seem reasonable.
    This sounds about right your system is trying to cool every thing to include the walls the furniture all during the hottest part of the day while the system down on btus

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    This sounds about right your system is trying to cool every thing to include the walls the furniture all during the hottest part of the day while the system down on btus
    Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in