Thread: Heatpump

Post Likes
    Replacing a York 10 SEER heatpump with a 14 SEER American Standard. Customer doesn't want to change out air handler,told him he would get less effiency than 14. He is fine with that he just wants outside unit changed for now. York is an old unit. He showed me a paper that another company sent him saying that the line set size would be different for a 13 SEER than a 10 SEER. I checked and a 1.5 ton unit is the same size line set no matter what SEER rating. Company letter stated he would have to change line set and that would mean ripping out the inner walls,costing much more money. Condo rule no outside line sets. So before 2006 that they better change their old units in for a newer unit.
    My question is, will I run into trouble with anything by having an American Standard with a York inside unit? Wiring? By the way you should see all the new York heatpumps this other company has in this complex so far. I'm in New England and still can't figure out why we have some heatpumps up here anyway.

Post Likes
    You will definitely have issues beyond just the lowered efficiency with that combination, if he wont budge changing the AH I would not offer anything over 10 SEER

Post Likes
    Why are you selling him a 14SEER C/U without also replacing the AHU? Makes no sense. I would either sell him a 10SEER C/U or nothing at all.

IMHO
    WHY?

Post Likes
    What other problems will there be? He is afraid of the outdoor unit dying and knows he will have to get at least a 13 SEER next year and belive it or not I can get a 14 SEER cheaper than a 13 SEER. Supply house said they sell more 14 than 13 so they can get them cheaper. I don't want to do it if I am going to have a lot of problems.

Post Likes
    I would walk away. It's gonna be nothing but trouble. You may have to change refrigerant level at the beginning of each season. You're gonna own this fiasco even though you advised against it.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    I would walk away. It's gonna be nothing but trouble. You may have to change refrigerant level at the beginning of each season. You're gonna own this fiasco even though you advised against it.
    Very good advice..let the other company be married to it...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in