Hmm New Trane XV95 w/XL16i & XL950 T-stat

I've been trying to educate myself on all this and appreciate all the knowledge that abounds in these forums.
    I just had the subject systems installed along w/new ductwork. After the installation, I had an independent energy auditor come out to test the system and there are problems that quite frankly shocked me. I had purchased this gear from a well known and well-respected local installer. BBB, in business for a long time etc. The auditors could not get my cooling system to ramp up to the higher speed. They tried various things, including letting it run for an hour set at 60 degrees. (I live in Atlanta and it's been in the 90s). Also, on the t-stat, while I don't have a humidifier, it seems that I should be able to set a desired humidity-level in the summertime but the t-stat will only 'display' the humidity - it does not allow me to set a desired humidity level.
    The auditor said they WERE able to get the air flow to ramp up while the t-stat was in HEAT mode.
    I want to be able to talk intelligently to the installers when they come back out. Can anyone help me with the A/C air flow question and the humidity control? And lastly, the installers told me I could always add a humidifier later if I found I needed it. Is that true? Will it work w/the xl950?
    Thank you!!!

Yes you can add a humidifier to that system I just installed a truesteam 6gpd with an XV80 an XL20i and an XL950 thermostat.

As for the cooling system is it the airflow or the XL16i that is not going to the higher speed? It sounds like a wiring issue to me. Did they use the 24v module with that thermostat and furnace? Is your XL16i a heat pump or an air conditioner?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Contact the installing company and have them repair or change the settings. Then have them demonstrate the different airflows in cooling so that you can see, hear and feel the difference. Give us the full model numbers of the outdoor unit and the furnace.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Yes you can add a humidifier to that system I just installed a truesteam 6gpd with an XV80 an XL20i and an XL950 thermostat.

As for the cooling system is it the airflow or the XL16i that is not going to the higher speed? It sounds like a wiring issue to me. Did they use the 24v module with that thermostat and furnace? Is your XL16i a heat pump or an air conditioner?
    Thank you for you ntoe. I don't know if they used the " 24V module" nothing like that was specified but I can find out. My audit people said it was the 'air handler" (read airflow) that was not ramping up to the higher blowing speed.
    My XL61i is an air conditioner, not a heat pump.
    MODELS:
    A/C = XL16i 4TTV6048E
    FURNACE = XV95 TUH2C2100A9V4
    COIL = 4TXCD016BC
    THERMOSTAT = XL950
    ULTRAVATION FILTER

It was intalled in my unvented crawl space. They have the fresh air intake dangling in the crawl space - which I think needs to be run up to and thru the exterior wall.
    Thanks again for your insights.!

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    Contact the installing company and have them repair or change the settings. Then have them demonstrate the different airflows in cooling so that you can see, hear and feel the difference. Give us the full model numbers of the outdoor unit and the furnace.
    I have emailed my salesman from the installation company and he said he was going to sit down with his head of the service department to discuss the concerns.

Here is the equipment that they installed - it's 4 Ton and ALL Trane:
    A/C = XL16i 4TTV6048E
    FURNACE = XV95 TUH2C2100A9V4
    COIL = 4TXCD016BC
    THERMOSTAT = XL950
    ULTRAVATION FILTER
    (+ most of the ductwork was replaced (however post-audit found 322 CFM's imbalance between the supply and return) Reflecting leakage in some of the ductwork still.)

You need to get your installer to check the dip switches on the control board of the XV95. It has to be set for "Comfort R" in order to ramp up and down.

Quote Originally Posted by Unskilled Woman View Post
    Also, on the t-stat, while I don't have a humidifier, it seems that I should be able to set a desired humidity-level in the summertime but the t-stat will only 'display' the humidity - it does not allow me to set a desired humidity level.
    The auditor said they WERE able to get the air flow to ramp up while the t-stat was in HEAT mode.
    I want to be able to talk intelligently to the installers when they come back out. Can anyone help me with the A/C air flow question and the humidity control? And lastly, the installers told me I could always add a humidifier later if I found I needed it. Is that true? Will it work w/the xl950?
    Thank you!!!
    It most defnitely will allow ou to set and humidity setpoint and the unit will slow the airflow to help dehumidify... that is, if it's rpogrammed correctly. it can do all sorts of things such as customizing the constant fan airlfow speed if you ike a constant fan in the winter. You cna set airflows for the hcooling and i think heating equipment. You can also set the cycle rate of the AC and furnace (how often it start and stop per hour at 1/2 capacity)

I did a Google search and in 10 seconds got a copy of the installation guide includign hte set-up parameters. You might consider reading through it and see if it makes and sense. It might give you an idea of the capabilities.

Just google "TCONT900 installation guide". You should see a .pdf file as one of the first links listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unskilled Woman View Post
    ...It was intalled in my unvented crawl space. They have the fresh air intake dangling in the crawl space - which I think needs to be run up to and thru the exterior wall. Yes. ....
    This is not a healthy situation. RADON is a radioactive gas found in the soil and rocks in many areas. This needs to be corrected.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

I'll bet that control wiring is not correct as the 16i wires up differently ,also curios as why they did not install a xc95 as they work better with 16i

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I'll bet that control wiring is not correct as the 16i wires up differently ,also curios as why they did not install a xc95 as they work better with 16i
    Why will the XC95M work better the XL16i is not communicating model. Yes the 60 stages of heating would be better but any other reasons you can think of?
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Why will the XC95M work better the XL16i is not communicating model. Yes the 60 stages of heating would be better but any other reasons you can think of?
    On the xv furnace when you break bk you reduce air flow by 20 percent so you still have 80 percent air flow but the first stage on the 16i is only pumping about 70 percent capacity , on the xc furnace you can set the first stage airflow at 65 or 70 percent for 1st stage cooling and get better dehumidification ,