Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coil Cleaning

high gpm's

steam doesn't penetrate the coil you need to use high volume of water to dislodge the dirt from the middle of the coil

Interesting topic

I am still looking for the best way to clean the horizontal
    coils that some split systems incorporate.
    I always feel like I missed a lot of dirt when trying to clean from the air entering side.The water seems to build/load up between the fins and makes cleaning that much more difficult.
    A.B.C.-always be careful!

There are some older units with double coils that the only way to clean it is to pull the top and separate the coils or it all just ends up stuck between the two even if you clean from both sides.

I get good results when I 1st give it a quick wash with water to blow surface dirt away and then apply coil cleaner.
    I think that low pressure washing from the inside out gets best results. If you start pressure washing from outside in, I’m afraid that all your doing is pushing (or forcing) the surface dirt all the way through the coil, making it a bigger job then what it was

Cleaning coils is not as simple as it sounds. A lot of variables to conceder, as you can see reading through this discussion. I didn’t see where anyone mentioned the roof. If you’re using the harsh chemicals please make sure you flush the roof before the chemicals stain or worse, compromise the roof membrane. No one needs an owner to spend thousands of dollars on roof leaks and finding out it’s something you created.
    Always leave it better than you found it.

Carrier's "Novation" type coils can only be cleaned with WATER ONLY.
    I wonder about that technology especially when used as a stacked split coil situation. Just imagine how many helper techs are going to "kill" condenser coils now.

Quote Originally Posted by acdave17 View Post
    Cleaning coils is not as simple as it sounds. A lot of variables to conceder, as you can see reading through this discussion. I didn’t see where anyone mentioned the roof. If you’re using the harsh chemicals please make sure you flush the roof before the chemicals stain or worse, compromise the roof membrane. No one needs an owner to spend thousands of dollars on roof leaks and finding out it’s something you created.

Be especially aware on steel roofs as coil cleaner discolors it. I've seen a red roof turn black where the cleaner contacted it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12