Hybrid View

Goodman Compressor Question

Hello all!!! I'm new to this forum and hope i can get a little advice on a condensor i'm currently working on. Below is the scenario....

The system i'm working on is a Goodman through the wall condensor and yes it is part of a split system and not a Ptac unit.

W hen i went to work on this unit today upon arrival i found that the breaker for the condensor had tripped which due to our recent power outages in VA Beach i figured a surge had just tripped it. When i reset the breaker the condensor fan did not come on but the compressor started to run for approx. 5 seconds before tripping the breaker again.

I checked the capacitor which had signs of failure and i also checked all of the wiring going to the compressor for possible shorts. I found no shorts and checked to make sure the compressor was not shorted to ground.

I changed the capacitor and turned the system back on and the fan started working but now the compressor was not even attempting to start, but the breaker was no longer tripping. In hopes that the new capacitor was faulty i tried another and there was no change.

Also, the compressor was not overheated so it should not have been in thermal overload. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you ohm the internal overload? Sometimes they stick i would make sure it closed, and check that a wire did not burn off at the compressor. Proper voltage going to the compressor?

Well, i did check voltage across the terminals and got 240 C > R, 240 C > S, and about 5 volts R > S. But, silly me i did not ohm out the internal overload. I did just get through downloading the measurments i need to get when checking the windings so i will be checking that in the morning and hopefully i will be able to walk into my boss's office and give him a definite "yes the compressor is bad, we need to replace it".

I know it seems obvious, but make sure you didn't accidentally get the fan and compressor wires crossed at the capacitor.

Before you try to start the compressor, put your amprobe on the compressor common and see if it pulls LRA at startup. I'd also try a Hard Start kit on the compressor before condemning it.

Ohm the Compressor as mentioned... And check LRA. Is the Compressor "humming" at all? I have had issues with the 13 seer newer models having problems exceeding LRA. Hard start assist helped.