I'm in the home stretch of selecting a contractor and have asked one of the companies for clarification including furnace model (got to me more to this than 110K BTU/hr), make/model of two stage t-state, approximate permit cost (not included in bid), electrical requirements (not included) and requested that upon award a Manual J would be done to adjust size and cost of the furnace (My Manual J shows a 30K BTU/hr heat loss!). These quotations are almost one-liners with very little information. Is there anything else I should be asking? For a smallish (60K two stage) furnace what's the nominal electrical requirement and does the code normally require a separate circuit?

I guess I find it hard to understand why the contractor can't quote a turnkey installation.

Rick T

Seems to me like he could give you a definite price. When I do a estimate. If its a changeout then I give a firm price right then. If there will be electrical involved such as a dedicated circuit, then I tell them that a electrician will need to be called in to do that & give them a ballpark of what that will cost. I will coordinate with the electrician but I make them aware that they will be paying his bill therefore I wont be putting any markup on his work. They always appreciate that. The price I give them includes tax & I would never add anything to it. If I miss something in the estimate, then I will absorb it myself. I dont itemize stuff though, I just give them 1 price that includes everything.

I can understand someone not wanting to do a manual J until they are awarded the job. It takes a hour or so to do one.

[Edited by hvac hero on 12-06-2005 at 05:12 PM]
    Life is like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

All furnaces require 20 amp fuse or breaker with means of disconnecttion at furnace usally a fused 20 amp switch.

If your load states that you need 30,000 btu then 60,000 furnace with 2) stage will work great.

Be smart and size according to what the contractor bids as long as load has been performed..

--------Aircooled--------

Talking Load-Done

All furnaces require 20 amp fuse or breaker with means of disconnecttion at furnace usally a fused 20 amp switch.

If your load states that you need 30,000 btu then 60,000 furnace with 2) stage will work great.

Be smart and size according to what the contractor bids as long as load has been performed..

--------Aircooled--------

Thanks for the responses. I can certainly see not doing the Manual J beforehand, but I believe the contractor would be better off saying that the furnace size (and price) may be slightly adjusted after contract based on a Manual J. I would suspect this would almost always result in a size reduction. I'm baffled that the contractors don't include permits as an HO has no idea whatsoever what a permit costs. Regarding electrical I can easily run a separate 20 amp service from my panel with whatever sort of disconnect is required.

Incidently, in my R&R situation I have to relocate my propane furnace from ground floor (slab) to the attic as there is no way to vent from its central location and you can't get a permit for a reinstall without a hardship declaration. I think moving the furnace to a safe place would be a good selling point in any event. There is always more to these "simple" upgrades than meets the eye.

Rick T