Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

high super heat low suction. any ideas

I am working on a ruud heat pump. Freeze up problems. Low suction pressure, 24 superheat, 8 subcooling. 14 degree air drop across my coil. I have evacuated and wieghed in a charge r-22 and replaced txv. No kinks in line set and not a plugged filter dryer. .5 static pressure across my coil. It is a matching ruud 4 ton air handler.

Thread relocated to Tech to Tech Chat...

How about the actual pressures AND entering and leaving dry bulb and wet bulb temps.

Type of metering device could be helpful, too...

Kind of sounds like it's undercharged. Freezing, low pressure, high superheat and lowish subcooling. Pressures, outdoor temp, indoor temp would be helpful.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Sporlan txv, 65 suction 210 head, 73 entering. 57 leaving. I don't have a wet bulb reading

90 degree outdoor. About 80 inside on main level and 72 in basement

When you weighed in the charge, did you check lineset length to make sure it didn't require any extra R-22?
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

(TXV) was replaced- Make sure evap coil is clean along with blower assembly to start. Sounds undercharged ! Actual pressures and temps would be good.

Charge is correct everything is clean in and out. 65# suction. 210# head. Suction line 61 degrees head 94 degrees.

I'd like to see a by higher subcooling myself. Between 10 and 12 is where I will charge without specific instructions.

The disparity between room temp (80) and return temp (73) also bothers me. Leaky return?

You need a wetbulb reading to do this job correctly.

It is poor ducting but sized right it pulls more from the basement then upper level. Didn't get the wet bulb reading but don't see how that would really help at this point. 73 shouldn't cause coil freeze. Up. I am confident it is a blockage just not sure which end to dig into I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantman21 View Post
    It is poor ducting but sized right it pulls more from the basement then upper level. Didn't get the wet bulb reading but don't see how that would really help at this point. 73 shouldn't cause coil freeze. Up. I am confident it is a blockage just not sure which end to dig into I guess.
    A wet bulb reading will tell you how much moisture is in the air AND how much moisture the coil is pulling out of the air.

You are confident that it is a blockage in the refrigeration system with a low subcooling?

You're going off on a wild goose chase, friend.

Quote Originally Posted by bryantman21 View Post
    I think you already KNOW what the problem is.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast