+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tool bag, what's missing?

Post Likes

Tool bag, what's missing?

So I just started in our local schools HVACR/MAR program and we received our tools today. What else do you guys think I need to add to these? I can already tell you a tape measure and flashlight is on the list.

Soft Tool Bag
    Ratchet Wrench
    3/16" Hex Key Wrench Insert
    5/16" Magnetic Long Driver
    Wire Stripper
    1 1/4" Telescopic Mirror
    Channel Lock Pliers
    10" Adjustable Wrench
    1 3/4" Pliers
    6 in 1 Screwdriver
    Left Aviation Snip
    Right Aviation Snip
    Fieldpiece Multimeter
    Yellow Jacket Manifold with Hose

Post Likes
    Manometer
    Thermometer
    Psychrometer

Socket sets (yeah, you'll want a couple)
    Cordless drill and impact driver

Post Likes
    I think you have more than enough tools for just starting School.

I would wait until you get a job before buying much else.

Post Likes
    1/4" magnetic nut driver
    Pocket or torpedo level for mounting stats
    Needle nose pliers
    Wire brush for cleaning burners
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    I think you have more than enough tools for just starting School.

I would wait until you get a job before buying much else.
    Sounds good to me! I was Hoping that the kit the school put together would be enough to get started.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    1/4" magnetic nut driver
    Pocket or torpedo level for mounting stats
    Needle nose pliers
    Wire brush for cleaning burners
    What I posted was the list the gave us but I'm pretty sure I saw a 1/4" nut driver, torpedo level, and needle nose pliers. I know for sure no wire brush tho.

Post Likes
    allen keys standard/metric,metal shradder valve holder,check you local auto stores for those bargin bins see if you can get one of those small socket sets with the driver...great for those crazy motor terminals nuts....caliper.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    This day in age, I would think an infrared thermometer would be a good idea.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by QcTodd View Post
    Yellow Jacket Manifold with Hose
    Might want to get two more hoses to complete the set.

later on add some ball valves for hoses, thumb screw core depressor ( worth their weight in gold)

I wouldn't spend money on high end equipment yet as most employers supply those. I would get a good pocket thermometer and maybe an electronic psychrometer for target SH, wet bulb and relative humidity determination and delta T measurements.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    You will figure out your own "special tools" later but i'll tell you one for now. Get yourself a 3 foot or more extention for your socket set. Makes compressor change outs easier.

Post Likes
    I'm currently in school as well. I went ahead and bought a hvac Fluke combo multimeter/ clamp ammeter. I was told 80% of all problems are electrical so it made sense.

Post Likes
    A telescoping magnet helped me more than once when I dropped screws in hard to reach places.

EPA 608 certified: Universal

Post Likes
    Make sure what ever multimeter you get it not only has ammeter clamp but it can do Capacity. I find to many techs who diagnose a bad compressor for several hundreds to replace and it is actually a capacitor that costs under sixty bucks.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by XcelTech View Post
    Make sure what ever multimeter you get it not only has ammeter clamp but it can do Capacity. I find to many techs who diagnose a bad compressor for several hundreds to replace and it is actually a capacitor that costs under sixty bucks.
    I hope you are kidding on the compressor diagnosis.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    I hope you are kidding on the compressor diagnosis.
    I agree.

I know there are alot of incompetent techs out there but any tech that would "mistake" a bad capacitor for a bad compressor is probably just trying to scam the customer, or has no business being allowed to run calls.

Post Likes
    This is the meter we got, thoughts?

http://www.fieldpiece.com/clamp-meters/sc53

Post Likes
    Good meter.
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    oops hahahaah! I meant fan motors not compressor. But no I am not. I see it all the time. I had a personal friend in Austin who ran into that problem not two weeks ago. His AC stopped working and called a company to come look and they told him the fan motor on his condenser was bad. Luckily my friend is no moron and didn't trust the tech. He called me and I talked him through it over the phone. The capacitor was bulging and all.

I use to work at DFW international Airport. I worked for 6 months for a company that had an AC contract. They tried to replace 7 fan motors during that 6 months that had bad caps. and good motors. They tried to replace two that had perfectly working motors that were over amping due to load issues.

I can't tell you how many people I watched condemn 3 motors on the same system because they installed it with a fan blade they pulled of a back shelf.

I watched another guy condemn 4 HOA switches before the boss went hold up because he wasn't getting voltage readings through it when he turned it on.

I watched a manager condemn a PCA motor that cost thousands of dollars because the motor over amped while the airplane duct work wasn't attached.

I watched a second manager condemn a perfectly good circuit board, transformer, and two relay because the amp over load was tripping on a short he wired wrong in the remote switch box.

Yeah, there are a lot of people who couldn't use a meter right to save their life.

Post Likes
    Well if they are using that logic on fan motors they are surely doing it to compressors as well unless they are just trying to make a quick easy sell and install on a quick fan motor swap. These same people probably check AH fan amp draw with the panel off.
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! I am sure they charge that way too.

It is freezing up! Must be low on R-22. Okay fill her tell it stops freezing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in