Trane XV95 VS American Standard 95

Hello-I live in central WI and am in need of a new furnace and ac. I was wondering what your opinions are of the two brands that i have received estimates on.

1.) Trane XV95 - 80,000 btu - 2 stage, AC = 2.5 ton, 13 seer R410A ( this contractor did a load test and spent 2 1/2 hours here)

2.) American Standard Freedom 95 100,000 btu single stage, AC - 13 seer 3.0 ton. (this contractor put my current furnace in and has done all my repairs for the past 17 years)

There is about a $ difference between the two.

Any advice or opinion.

Thanks,
    Merry
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 08-31-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: removed pricing

Quote Originally Posted by merrym100 View Post
    Hello-I live in central WI and am in need of a new furnace and ac. I was wondering what your opinions are of the two brands that i have received estimates on.

1.) Trane XV95 - 80,000 btu - 2 stage, AC = 2.5 ton, 13 seer R410A ( this contractor did a load test and spent 2 1/2 hours here)

2.) American Standard Freedom 95 100,000 btu single stage, AC - 13 seer 3.0 ton. (this contractor put my current furnace in and has done all my repairs for the past 17 years)

There is about a $2,000 difference between the two.

Any advice or opinion.

Thanks,
    Merry

trane is made by american standard.... literally come off the same production line...

draw back? they come from new jersey.

Interesting that they don't agree on furnace size. I'd guess the smaller one is correct since you say he spent the time to do the load calc.

The diff in price can be in the A/C. Did they both quote the same since you don't give us model #s? Both quoting A-S/Trane coils? Both using a comparable 2 stage thermostat? New lineset? Chimney liner for the water heater if applicable?

Trane in this case for many reasons. As BaldLoonie pointed out Trane and American standard come off the same product line. I am a Trane dealer so I am a little biased but Trane has much better support and training for their dealers so all things being equal(equipment) the Trane dealer is generally a better installer and I think it shows. The trane dealer did a load calc, spent much more time finding your needs, speced an 80,000 BTU furnace(the 100,000 BTU American standard has a 4 ton blower motor which is a bit to much airflow for that 2.5 ton AC) its a two stage so that means it also has the variable speed blower(much quieter, better humidity control/removal, more energy efficient and longer lasting)Trane Dealer all the way.

What are the model numbers of the AC's, trane makes 3 different 13 SEER units, the XB300, XB13 and the XR13(good, better, best)
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Around here I'd much rather deal with American Standard than Trane. Trane split with the locally owned supplier and went to direct sales to improve market share. Instead, they lost a lot of it! American Standard was the winner, they are sold by a locally owned (2 sisters) multistate outfit with superb service. The FSR is THE sharpest guy in HVAC I've ever met. So don't choose a brand on supply houses in Portland or Indy

But I agree, in this case the Trane dealer is probably doing things right. I'm guessing he's the one lots higher! But if the OP would answer the questions I've raised about the job, we might know more.

Trane dealer is doing you right in this case.

not biased either. I work for Trane in the industrial world, and I sell A/S in my residential business. Trane wants dealers who sell a minimum of 20K a year.
    It's hard to stop a Trane. but I have made one helluva living keeping them going.

Trane Dealer 10 years. Both are very good units. Neither one will serve you if it isn't sized right. Ask for a heat load from both of them and ask them to go over it with you. The only real way to know is to compare them. Get a 3rd heat load if you want. Bigger is not better. The size difference is a red flag. One of them is wrong.
    "The value of quality is long rembered after the thrill of low price is forgotten."

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    Trane in this case for many reasons. As BaldLoonie pointed out Trane and American standard come off the same product line. I am a Trane dealer so I am a little biased but Trane has much better support and training for their dealers so all things being equal(equipment) the Trane dealer is generally a better installer and I think it shows. The trane dealer did a load calc, spent much more time finding your needs, speced an 80,000 BTU furnace(the 100,000 BTU American standard has a 4 ton blower motor which is a bit to much airflow for that 2.5 ton AC) its a two stage so that means it also has the variable speed blower(much quieter, better humidity control/removal, more energy efficient and longer lasting)Trane Dealer all the way.

What are the model numbers of the AC's, trane makes 3 different 13 SEER units, the XB300, XB13 and the XR13(good, better, best)
    Not in my experience. The worst local outfit sells Trane (although they are not listed on Trane's website under a dealer search...hmmmm), I don't think they've every recieved any traiing on their equipment. The 2nd worst company sells carrier., but at least does descent installs and knows the equipment.

The only company I trust can get me whatever I want (not a brand specific dealer and does mostly commericial & industrial) but recommends York because of their warranty and it's a good price point. He actually doesn't like Goodman/Amana because of theri former reputation... I keep hearing the prouduct quality has improved a lot.