Question

In July of 04 we had our residential, contractor/builder installed ’91 model Comfort Maker heat pump and air handler in service since ’93 replaced with a York 14 seer model E1RE030S06 heat pump, a 17.5” var. speed air handler model N1VSB1206, w/coil model G2FD046H17, and a Honeywell model 8611G2002 Deluxe programmable heat pump thermostat. To this day, we have only had one electrical billing cycle (2 mths) with lower energy consumption than with the older unit. Am I missing something or is there something drastically wrong with either the unit or its sizing? Shouldn’t there be some sort of energy savings realization from this endeavor?
    The house was constructed in ’92-’93, single floor, wood frame, insulated attic, all exterior windows and doors double pained, floor insulated with 61/4” R-19, the ceiling is insulated with 91/2” R-30, it has roughly 1397 ft2; one area of that footage, approximately 563 ft2 has a 11‘6” vaulted ceiling, three exterior walls, two 72”x30” windows on one exterior wall (end of house), an exterior 72” French door and a small “x24” window (kitchen area)on another exterior wall (rear of house), a 32” front door and , two standard 48”x30” windows on a second exterior wall opposite the French door wall (front of house); in the rest of the house there are three additional 48”x30” windows (2 on front 1 on rear walls) and a “x24” window (on rear wall). The air handler and all ductwork are located in the semi-finished basement, the ductwork, unfortunately, is duct board and the non-reflective sleeved, flexible round duct. There are two returns in every room (hi/lo) and two large (20x20) returns in the vaulted area. There is one register in each of the three bedrooms and two bathrooms, in the vaulted area there is a register on the rear wall and two registers on the front wall with a final register located about 4 ft off the rear wall in the kitchen area (part of the vaulted area). There are also three partially open registers in the basement with no returns there. These registers have been operated both partially open and closed and were installed by the replacement contractor with the inquiry prior to installation, “Will this require a bigger unit or have much of an affect on the system?”
    I would appreciate any opinions about this situation as well as any suggestions.

Have you changed you living style, set stat cooler in summer, or warmer in winter.

Adding the supplies in the basement adds additional load to the unit

Was the winter colder then the previous, and was this past summer wamer then the year before.

You need to check the Hdd, and the CDD, to know if its using more or less energy.

Have you had the installing contractor back out to check the unit.

What area do you live in.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hard to tell from here but I think it's a safe to say, whether it applies to your situation or not, that marginal or poor duct systems will negate any upgreades in efficieincy. An ECM motor will pull just as many amps as a PSC in higher static conditions, the only difference will be that it actually moves the air.

I also second the adding of registers. If you need them you need them but you are heating a larger space and ultimately dehumidifying a space that was never conditioned before.

Answers to Been and Doc's ?s

Thanks for the response Been and Doc.

Been, no, there have been no notable lifestyle changes, and we've tried running both with the variable program of the thermo and straight temp, not much difference either. As far as the seasons, they've been if anything a little milder because the one period that the consumption was down the unit invariably didn't run for a month. I must let my ignorance show here, what are HDD and CDD? We have had the contractor back twice so far and this post is preperation for a third call. The first visit, springtime, they checked a couple of things and said call them back once we really get into the cooling season. Second call back they adjusted the blower in the handler and checked the charge which said "was a good charge." The other thing they did not replace the original coolant lines.? (shrugging shoulders doubtfully)We're located in the eastern panhandle of WV, between Cumberland and Hagerstown, MD, north of Winchester, VA.

I didn't forget you Doc, when you are referring to ECM and PSC motors, are these the air handler blower motors? But I find it hard to believe that taking a leaking cooling coil unit (would no longer hold a full charge for more than app. 4mths)of 8 or less seer, not changing any ducting, replacing it with a (75% more efficient?) 14 seer unit and have NO? efficiency gain because of ducting? I can believe that it would reduce the amount of savings, but negate them completely? So, the fiberboard creates a static charge? in addition to the natural resistance between a fibros and smooth surface. I'm not doubting your experience or expertise, asking is how we learn ;-). The extra reg.s are for when the basement is finally finished, sort of a family room and summer kitchen type design 2 regs in about 563'sq (ultimately that is, the kitchen may never happen though, just space), been mostly closed throughout as was trying to get an accurate consumption comparison.