Hall of Fame or Shame???

Confused

Hello,

The installation of my new American Standard HP, vs air handler and Honeywell zone system is underway and I'm a little concerned. Maybe I'm just paranoid from reading all the horror stories on this forum, but then again maybe not.
    The air handler was relocated into the garage from the rafter space above. The installers are going to reconnect to the existing ductwork in the rafter space and insulate the exposed ductwork off the air handler. The upper story overhangs the garage by 2', hence the jog in the ductwork on the air handler. Does this look okay?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,

mt_man

How about the new line set that is just suspended in mid-air right by the door? Seems someone could hit it causing a rupture or something.

This is the sealent as applied to a duct joint - notice the air gaps (black spaces)

>>>edit... resized pictures

[Edited by jultzya on 12-06-2005 at 05:58 PM]

where are the pictures. just red X,s in white boxes.......

Links edited...

mt_man

[Edited by mt_man on 12-06-2005 at 02:58 AM]

Get the return off of the floor. You don't want to pull garage smells and hazards into your return box and then blow them through you home.

Code dictates that gas appliances must be 18" off the floor so there is no fire hazard. I know you have a heat pump in the pic, so there is no open flame there. I wouldn't place the return ductwork closer than 18" to the floor.

In any event, I would make sure that every single duct joint in the garage was sealed with duct sealer. Kinda late to seal the open corners on that return air box- unless the installers used caulk before it was set on the ground.

All that assumes that your install even meets code in your area. Technically, the duct passes through a fire rated wall in the garage, therefore it should have a fire damper and access panel at that point. The only way around that in this area is if the equipment is in a room with a fire rated door and the ductwork is enclosed in a soffit with the same fire rating as the rest of the garage.

The original attic install avoided all those problems.

You could have some serious problems if/when you try to sell the home if your new install fails a home inspection. Hopefully you didn't call a fly by night company.

That fitting right on top of the air handler totally sucks. No turning vanes and it is full of insulation. I bet they did not seal the cut edges with glue to minimize the fibers in the airstream.

Most of the air is going to be traveling along the radius of that fitting, so that UV light installed in the center of the ductwork isn't going to be so effective.

Last unit I installed like that had a mention in the instructions about a length of straight duct above the electric heat coils. Might want to check that.

Lots of luck.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too little.
    When you pay too much, you lose a little money -- that is all. When you pay too little, you may lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot -- it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that, you will have enough to pay for something better."

John Ruskin

Senior Tech Guest
    resize...can't stand far enough away from computer to see pics...

They could have taken the linesets up the other side,but this isn't a major issue IMO. you can always damage an exposed lineset if not careful around it.....just watch the lawncare person step on the condenser lineset.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Yuck!!!!
    Make sure a permit was pulled and that the job was inspected.Look for a sticker that says mechanical passed of something similer. I don't like the looks of that round return drop.

That is a horrible job there, definatly "Wall of Shame".
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

mark,

What would you done on this?

Angry Poor use of round pipe..

If the ductwork is going to be in the space above that air handler, why didn't the just install a plenum then take off with truck line, I would hope that 14" isn't all the supply duct for a variable drive air handler. Unless that is a 2.5 ton that is not enough return 14" and how far does that return run after those bends 90', once it is above the ceiling were does it tie into?

Wall-Of-Shame if you asked me..

Really not (aircooled)..LOL