Confused

When you have a 2 stage HP and a 2 stage furnace what controlls what stage the HP and furnace are in?

Does the HP or furnace decide on there own what stage to use, or does the stat controll that?

Also, is that stat what is controlling the speed of the blower motor.

If you have a 2 stage HP and a 2 stage furnace you need a stats that will controll 4 stages of heating right?

Thanks,
    Doug

Depends upon your controls. Many these days are using the Vision Pro thermostat as the dual fuel control. It will control a 2 stage heat pump but only 1 stage for backup so in gas heat mode, you'll have to use the timer to time 2nd stage on, a comfort disadvantage. I'm not sure if there is anything out there that could handle all 4 stages. Maybe the Infinity/Evolution could. calling dash

I called Carrier about the Infinity controller and could not get anyone that could tell me. The guy did tell me that he was "sure" that it would because it was the newest thing they had and was very advanced.

Oh - He also told me that the Infinity controller was satellite linked, so if I forgot my password they could send it a signal and unlock my system.

Doug

Hang on a bit, maybe dash, Shawn or one of the other Carrier gurus will see this an answer.

I can wait. I would be willing to bet that the system is not linked to a satellite thouhg.

Doug

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    It can soon be linked,under beta teating,and if you ask there's a swap out program,to get that version.

Yes .it will handle all four stages,of two stage heat pump and two stage gas.We are in the process of installing one now,with the link,cute little "rubber ducky"antenea and all.

Here is how my 2 stage heat pump and 2 stage furnace work.

First stage heat is heat pump which runs on high (no low ever, so only one stage of heat from heat pump)

Second stage heat is low fire furnace

Third stage heat is high fire furnace.

Amana RTG 36 heat pump and an Amana AMV9070 condensing furnace.

dash-

wow! That is really cool. What exactly does the link do? Will I be able to access my system from the internet or from a phone? Could I "call home" and change the program? Could I call home from vacation to check on the house? If the system broke could it call the repain company on its own?

Does the system really have a password?

Doug

Most of the time with two HP heating stages and two furnace heating stages, you don't really control all four stages. Typically you either use an outdoor thermostat somewhere, omit one of the stages, or use the furnace timer logic to control selection between low fire and high fire.

Systems with a Carrier Thermidistat systems can handle that configuration, though, without any extra controls (fossil fuel kit, outdoor thermostat, manual switch, etc.) jury-rigged in. Infinity systems can do that too. Heck, with electric backup, some Infinity systems technically control six heating stages (two stage HP plus four stage heat strip).