Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My heatpump has started to act funny again! last couple of days the circuit breaker started triping .. this morning, it triped again and re-setting it does not work anymore . . i had the same problem last year and i replaced the breaker and the problem was resoled. i did the same this morning but this time no luck .. what could be casuing the circuit breaker to trip all the time? what are some common casues?

I'd be willing to bet that replacing the circuit brk. last year was not the answer either but a bandaid for a deeper electrical problem. You would be money ahead if you called in a service co. to fix the real prob. You are putting yourself and your home in danger by monkeying around with something that you might not be qualified to work on[not a slam on you]just a concern.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

Equipment failure....a dead short. Call a pro instead of replacing the breaker.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Talking

I becha if you where to hold that breaker closed and run it for a while, smoke and lightning will show you where the problem is.

went to a furnace call once where the guy had four [ what he called ] bad high temp c.u. switches lined up on top of furnace. The fact that every winter he shut off the whole trunk line going upstairs, had nothing to do with it.
    Some people swear by me and some at me

a short indeed. might be a wire, could be comp shorted to ground... in any event get a pro in there cause gettin bucked with 240 isnt fun

It's possible the breaker is bad, or your compressor has an internal short. Wait an hour and try it again, if it works then, it because the system has equlized in pressure, so it's easier for the motor to start. Sorry to hear the bad news, but when the breaker start tripping, that not a good sign. OUCH!! $$$$

If it wasn't anything major last year, it is now.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

perhaps the breaker "stabs" are not making good contact.

better installations have any screw mechanical connections torqued to the specifications of the connector mfgr.

breakers interupting a severe fault must be inspected by a qualified technician.

with that many breaker replacements, you are treating the symptom, not the problem!
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

thanks all for the reply. I am calling around for service .. meanwhile, any idea what some possible causes are and howmuch to expect to pay in $? most places i called charge by the hour plus part .. about $XX for first 30 min and $XX after that .. So far i see 2 people saying it is possible that the comp is shorting.. howmany hours to fix and what parts (if any) required for this type of service.. thanks again.

>>>edit...

(No pricing, due to site rules )

[Edited by jultzya on 12-06-2005 at 05:05 PM]

If the comp is shorted to ground,plan on replacing the unit if it's around 10 years old. Not worth fixing....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Smokin68, thanks for the good news :-).. yes, i think the outside unit is about 10 year old but not sure about inside unit .. i moved to the house 2 years ago so not very sure .. .. by replacing, does this mean inside and outside unit or just the ouside unit? i am thunking it is a 2 or 2.5 ton size . .how much to replace?

Originally posted by switchex
    . .how much to replace?
    Switch,
    The folks here are not going to give you a price.
    You will need to get local estimates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast