Hmm

Tell me if this is common practice. Most of our facilities Air handlers, VAV boxes, and affilited controls are controlled through the Siemens Apogee software. For some reason,within the last few years as changes are made to our HVAC automation system, they are not staying with siemens. What we are ending up with is Air handlers being controlled by Apogee, and some of its affiliated VAV boxes being controlled by TAC VISTA. Two questions

Is this common, or acceptable, in the HVAC controls field?

What opinions do you controls techs have of TAC VISTA?

TAC Vista is a very powerful front end. You have all sorts of user levels that you can define. As an operator everything that is made public via Menta (the programming tool) you can adjust through Vista. This is common and acceptable as long as the controls are working. I don't know about Apogee but TAC's VAV boxes (102 series) are lon controllers, so you could integrate them with other lon controllers (Open System). We have a building now that is Trane controlled - older stuff - that we are replacing with TAC 102AX vav controllers. The TAC controllers right now only control the individual zones. They don't command the AHU in any way - yet ;o). If the duct temp will help satisfy the need of the zone then the TAC VAV controller will open up the damper to allow more airflow. You can have these set up to maintain airflow settings or to simply open and close the damper base on duct temp and zone need.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

it is becoming more common

As people become more informed about what is available to them in the controls world, most tend to migrate toward open systems, primarily a lon environment.
    While apogee and their TEC's can be lon based, they are still somewhat proprietary and most configuration info is kept close to the vest at Siemens.

It is my experience after 18 years in the business that the service tech makes or breaks it.
    If the system is running well and the service tech meets the customers needs then most companies won't jump ship. One bad tech can spoil a business relationship for life.
    Your site may be the victim of bad service.

Very True - installation and techs make/break a job. If your Apogee system was working great and your service was great I am sure no one else's stuff would be in there.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/