Question

Hey,

We just bought this house and the outside unit (Bryant) is making a strange tapping or beating noise like thump thump thump thump at night. Only at night so far. When the heat is on. We run the heat during the day but no noise. I'm posting this here because I can't get a repair man to come over and stay at night waiting for the noise to happen. Any suggestions? Is it going to blow up? We also hear a loud whir when it starts up, but that happens everytime. Thanks for any help

i would guess it has something to do with the defrost mode.

the tech can put the unit into a forced defrost while there, so call and describe to him what you described here.

good luck.

I doubt if the noise is nocturnal.

Many times a noise is just more noticeable at night because everything else is off (TV, radio, traffic etc...).

It is always money well spent to get a system checked over each season.

Make the call.

You'll be glad you did.

Talking

zaine77 - I would not have a problem coming by at night to give it a listen, but unless your close it get a little costly as a service call.

check for an ice around and in the unit, compressors pads will get all iced up from defrost cycle and it will cause vibration, is it a rotary comp.?