Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For emerg backup 1 large or 2 smaller window ACs

HI I live in the hottest part of SW AZ and considering turning my 1000SF FR/Kit into a "cost effective segregated emergency cool room" should we have an extended power outage during 110-120F summer temperatures. I plan to buy a 8500W 120/220V Honda portable (on wheels) generator to power my FR/Kit main appliances fridge, small TV, and 1 large 220V 17000 BTU OR 2 smaller 120V 8500 BTU AC window units. All powered using a separate (not home circuit) 50A through wall extension cords.

My question is would it be better to use two 110V 7.5A 8500BTU AC units for easier loading on the generator and cooling distribution, rather then using one large 15A 17000BTU window AC at one far end of the room considering the higher possibility of a brake down (1 unit vs 2) and the greater start load on the generator?

Considering the rarity of an extended power outage in Yuma, I suggest go to a motel, enjoy the pool, and save your money should it ever happen.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

I was hoping I to keep my post simple by just post the pure project question without having to give justification why I cannot take the obvious and elementary option of leaving my home to smolder without suffering significant loss, certainly more then the cost of a hotel room, generator and portable AC's combined.

Having said that let me ask the question again:
    HI I live in the hottest part of SW AZ and considering turning my 1000SF FR/Kit into a "cost effective segregated emergency cool room" should we have an extended power outage during 110-120F summer temperatures. I plan to buy a 8500W 120/220V Honda portable (on wheels) generator to power my FR/Kit main appliances fridge, small TV, and 1 large 220V 17000 BTU OR 2 smaller 120V 8500 BTU AC window units. All powered using a separate (not home circuit) 50A through wall extension cords.

My question is would it be better to use two 110V 7.5A 8500BTU AC units for easier loading on the generator and cooling distribution, rather then using one large 15A 17000BTU window AC at one far end of the room considering the higher possibility of a brake down (1 unit vs 2) and the greater start load on the generator?

I'm going to suggest the 2 smaller units for the following reasons:

1) Portability
    a) easier to install / remove when needed
    b) possibly move to a bedroom for sleeping
    2) Redundancy - it seems important to you to do this. What if one fails. At least you have something.
    3) Easier on the generator during cycling.

Goodluck
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

I would go with one large unit to help attain good cooling. You can pick up an emergency for the emergency later. Window units are usually tanks and rarely break down and even less with only occasional use. Well stored and probably operated every so often will keep it in top shape for years.

You can pick up two smaller 12k units for back up's later pretty cheap.

You should look into whole house electrical generators later down the road, they are getting cheaper.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

A 8500W will power some central A/C units, especially the smaller ones.

Thanks for the replies. My home is 1600SF and cooled by a 49000 BTU Goodman central AC unit. I have considered a stationary auto power transfer 25000W generator to match it but we are taking $10,000 plus installation for an American or Japanese made brand. The Honda 8500W club price is only $999 and two 110V/12A 12,000 BTU GE Window AC's $470 (just found out they made a 110V 12K BTU unit). So for a total of $1500 I should be able to cool my 1000SF Front-Room and Kitchen (open space) if I seal off the other room doors including vents in the rest of the house. What is at steak are my six aquariums totaling 1200 gallons with exotic fish, if the temperature climbs past 85F they will start dieing. Im summer it only takes about 10 minutes for the house to go from 80F (AC setting) to 95F if the power or central AC Unit fails. Happened already when the serviceman split charged me $175 plus the free $85 visit to split my 2-way capacitor which he claims was 20% low on the fan side, using a Chinese made single 330V single capacitor with jumper on a 440V unit. He also tie-tied it on its side so that the bare connectors were facing the access cover. 2 weeks later after installation the AC vibration caused the capacitor to shift and sort out on the panel cover and I awoke from my nap to 100F temperatures on a Sunday. Being a military tech myself in electricity, hydraulics, pneumatics I decided to take a look, discovered the short and hooked up the old capacitor getting the AC to work again, I have since ordered and installed a new Amrad USA made industrial grade capacitor and new solenoid switches. Nevertheless I know know that its not just about power outages but central AC brake down and repair time maybe days! The only down side to my idea is if Im out of town when the power or central AC fails....I suppose I could buy and install an auto transfer switch and set the breaker box to power just my front room, at least that would take care of the power outage part. So what do you think of my poor-mans emergency creature-comfort set up idea?

Arrow

I agree with comfortdoc, use two smaller Room A/C Units & use a couple 20" fans to circulate the air for improved square foot area of cooling.

Actually, 8,500-Btu window units with the help of a " 20" Wind Machine" fan will help cool a much larger area...

As a contractor & Tech, if I lived in that climate, I would have capacitors & all kinds of replacement components to normally fix the central A/C anytime in a matter of a very few minutes...

If temps rise so quickly when the A/C fails I'd look into where the heat is getting into the house or what you have running inside generating so much heat.. It never gets above 85 in our house with no A/C, even when temps are over 100. Our house is the same size as yours and the 3 ton A/C is more than enough even when we hit record 115 temps last month.

I think 2 small units might be cheaper. And yes, the peak loading will be less on the generator.... but you'll still need a descent size generator regardless, if for no other reason than for longer run times.

I'v been considering picking up a smaller 3kw inverter generator to run 1 furnace along with maybe a TV, a couple lights, garage door opener and possibly alternate the refrigerator with the furnace. I could, for summer outages, get a small window AC to run off the generator. I think a 9kBTU would be enough to keep our master bedroom suite cool. the only PITA, is that I won't get more than about 8-9 hours run time on an average of a 1/4 load.

With the aquariums it might be appropriate to have a chiller in place to maintain the temp if needed.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

I hope you understand that the generator must be located outside of your home and garage and downwind. Take care to prevent exhaust gasses and carbon monoxide from leaking into your home
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

I'd go for two instead of one:

1) probably easier to install
    2) if one of the two fails you still have the other
    3) two smaller ones may be easier to find than one large one later
    4) you have the choice of only running one of the two if you want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast