Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heat Pump - Won't Stay On - Urgent

Post Likes
    I have a medical condition that cannot tolerate cold and am desperate.

We have just moved into our new home. Something is wrong with the heat pump and I cannot get the service/warranty people out here till Monday.

When the thermostat is set for heat there is air blowing, but it is not hot. It takes about 2 hours to go up one degree. The outside unit meanwhile (It is a Bryant system) is running about 30 seconds, tuns off, then starts again - this is continuous when the heat is turned on. It did appear prior to close whenever we were in the house that the cooling part of this heat pump was functioning, but maybe it just wasn't that hot.

Does anyone recognize this problem as being something caused by a simple/stupid glitch somewhere we can possibly do something about today? We have checked the filter to make sure it's not clogged by contruction debris so far, it is clean.

Post Likes
    I would look in the phone book for a service company that works on the weekend and pay them to come check out your problem.

Post Likes
    if you have auxilliary heat, turn the thermostat switch to emergency heat until the service co. can get there. do not keep running the outdoor unit in this condition.

good luck.

Post Likes
    Switch the stat to EMG, and wait for the installing contractor.

Post Likes

Switch your thermostat to "EM heat" Aux heat or Supl heat....do not allow the outdoor unit to run in this condition....get a weekend svc company or wait until monday

Post Likes
    Wow - thanks for all the responses! So, there seems to be a consensus here, but I have always been confused about this Emergency Heat setting.

Apparently the Emergency Heat setting does not involve the outdoor unit at all? Am I getting that right? Is this the same thing as Auxillary Heat or not?

Okay - I have made the switch, but so far it seems the system is not kicking in at all on this setting.

By the way - this setting is gonna cost me a fortune on the electric end isn't it? Might as well pay someone to get out here anyway - still trying to find someone.

Post Likes
    May have multiple wiring issues.

Yes it will run up the electric for the day if the strips are working.

If you use a different contractor then the installer, you could run in to trouble down the road if some thing else goes wrong.

It could end up in a P match between the 2 contractors blaming each other.

Post Likes
    I'll second beenthere's response
    and it won't cost all that much to run the backup heat for one day,

builders contractors sometimes don't do or aren't very good at service

Post Likes
    Originally posted by relentless

Okay - I have made the switch, but so far it seems the system is not kicking in at all on this setting.

By the way - this setting is gonna cost me a fortune on the electric end isn't it? Might as well pay someone to get out here anyway - still trying to find someone.
    Did you make sure the stat was also set in the heat mode with the emg. heat switch on?

It is better to have to pay a little cash out for electric for one day than to freeze.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Post Likes
    Oh, good point beenthere - thanks for reminding me. I don't want to end up voiding the warranty if the unit needs replacement - yikes.

Okay, I have also turned on the fan since it wasn't kicking in on EHEAT setting hoping to get the air flowing. Any problem with that?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by davidr

Did you make sure the stat was also set in the heat mode with the emg. heat switch on?

It is better to have to pay a little cash out for electric for one day than to freeze. [/B]
    Agreed about the money - but the stat is how you turn it to emg heat. Is there something somewhere else I need to flip?

Post Likes
    Originally posted by beenthere
    May have multiple wiring issues.

Yes it will run up the electric for the day if the strips are working.

If you use a different contractor then the installer, you could run in to trouble down the road if some thing else goes wrong.

It could end up in a P match between the 2 contractors blaming each other.
    how many people here install units and then tell homeowner "i'll see ya Monday "if they have problem, i would call contractor number 2 any how.They should service what they sell on 24 hour call at least explain to customer how to set emergency heat.

Post Likes

Agreed about the money - but the stat is how you turn it to emg heat. Is there something somewhere else I need to flip?
    Just make sure it is set to heat in addition to emg.heat.
    I just had this same issue with a customer last week.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Post Likes

Frown

Okay - It is set to heat/emergency heat, I've cranked the requested temp 6 degrees above the thermostat reading and the system isn't running at all. Tried setting the fan to stay on and that didn't help. Actually, if I turn it on (the fan) for a bit, then turn it off, the system stays running on it's own for about another 5 minutes, but not long enough to go up a degree.

So I guess I have no emergency heat on the thing either. The thermostat shows it is on, the system just doesn't run in this mode. I mean it should be blowing something in this mode right? Grrrrrrrrr.

Post Likes

On the thermostat

Set the system to off and the fan to on,,wait 1 minute anything? happen ??

you should have a blower running.

yes or no

[Edited by pjs on 12-04-2005 at 01:16 PM]

Post Likes
    Yes - the fan works fine all by itself. (With the thermostat off even)

Post Likes
    Is there a double breaker on the front of the air handler

Post Likes
    Okay - It is set to heat/emergency heat, I've cranked the requested temp 6 degrees above the thermostat reading and the system isn't running at all. Tried setting the fan to stay on and that didn't help. Actually, if I turn it on (the fan) for a bit, then turn it off, the system stays running on it's own for about another 5 minutes, but not long enough to go up a degree.

So I guess I have no emergency heat on the thing either. The thermostat shows it is on, the system just doesn't run in this mode. I mean it should be blowing something in this mode right? Grrrrrrrrr.
    Sounds like you have a wiring issue with the emergency heat, or it is like many I see around here and just does not have enough Kw to make a difference without the heat pump running. It is very commom here to see the emergency heat not wired up and we also see only 5 kw strips fairly often. Really just useless when you really need heat.

Bobby

Post Likes
    Okay - we have heat. A guy came by and it there was something (a valve loose) so all the fluid had been leaking out.

But yes, you are correct regarding the emergency heat. It is definately not wired or miswired, so I am glad to have discovered this now. I will still call the builder to get that corrected, but at least I can sleep here tonight.

You guys are great and I am overwhelmed by the amount of assistance offered.

THANK YOU!

Post Likes
    Your Welcome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in