I am in the process of planing to redo my whole basement, including the heating. The current system is hot water baseboard, which unfortunately will have to come out.
    Kitchen counters and cabinets will be taking most of the outside wall space, therefore taking away mounting space for baseboard heaters.
    I would like to install a completely independent system from the first floor. What is the difference betwean high velocity and conventional air distribution sysyems? What are the pros and cons? Is it advisable to install a high velocity system in a basement?

WHy not do radiant floor heating? You don't need much heat in a basement area. Eazy to zone right off the current hot water heat system.

[Edited by johnsp on 12-05-2005 at 03:14 PM]

i also agree,in-floor perfect for this job.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

radiat is a good choice for a basement, and most other places also.

If your going to maintain the temp contant 24/7.

What fuel do you use, gas, or oil.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

High velocity uses smaller supply ducts, blends the air in the room for more even temp controll and removes more humidity then a standard system due to it's colder/deeper evaporator coils. You can just install some small heaters (kickers)in the base of your cabinets and keep the hot water loop.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I appreciate all you guys suggestions.
    I tought of installing in floor radiant heating but it will be very expensive; 1200 sq/ft @ $5-$6 a sq ft. I even sent out for a sample from a company called Warmzone. Besides, the floor to ceiling hight is only 7'6", and if you take into account that i have to insulate the cement slab, than install the tubes and tiles, i will be loosing quite a bit of head room.

You'd probably loose 1.5-2" at most. 3/8" tubing in 1/2 flooring with some foil backed insulation under that. DO you need AC also? 1200 sq ft is a good size but being a basement, you still don't need much. A heap pump or gas furnace might be a solution. High velocity is pricey and used more in rehabing where the need for small ducts is needed to fish through small wall cavities. I still think adding on to your current hot water system with radiant can't be pricer then buying an extra heating system. Only if there's a need for AC would I look at alternatives.

An outdoor package unit could be ducted directly into the basement so all the mechanicals are outside. A ductless mini-split heat pump with electric strip backup heat is another option.