Thread: Advice

Advice

I'm a contractor and have a house that has a bedroom that has a trunk line running through it that is not insulated. They close the vent in the room when it is cold but it does not help at all and they say its freezing down there. What is the best way to insulate this trunk line to keep the room from being so cold. Will enclosing it in 5/8 drywall do the job or is there a special wrap or insulation for this?

You can use a foil duct wrap for round duct. I would use duct board for square. Closing it in with drywall won't hurt after. It needs to be insulated to keep from condensating.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Where do I find duct board? Is it a rigid foam?

what do you mean by trunk? are there duct's further down the line that come off of this duct after it leaves that room that is freezing? or is this duct just for that room only?

if you're going to enclose it with dry wall, i would just wrap it with R8 duct wrap.
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

It's a rigid fiberglass board insulation with a foil backing. Easy to cut and work with, light and can be painted if you don't want to frame in and drywall. Any AC supply house should have it.http://www.certainteed.com/products/...n/index/317382
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766