Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm

Hi all, i have a question about heating an attached garage of a raised ranch. The problem is i heat most of the house with a woodstove and the rooms farthest away and over the garage too get cold. What would you suggest i do? Do i heat the garage which will heat the floors of the rooms or some kind of heat in the rooms. Thanks for any info.

Cal

What type of central heating system do you have.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

have to be a lot cheaper to operate with some type of heat in the rooms than trying to heat a garage warm enough to warm floors above.

Oil hot water system.

any chance of running a zone of baseboard up to those rooms??

Zone the rooms over the garage, won't cost as much to heat them, as it would to heat the garage.
    Contractor locator map

You have oil hot water and you heat with a wood stove ??

Originally posted by pjs
    You have oil hot water and you heat with a wood stove ??
    Have you seen the cost of oil lately.

I'm using my electric heaters instead of my oil right now, its cheaper. 2.70 a gal last deliverly.
    Contractor locator map

Yeh, I hear ya but wood stove.

Dirty, dangerous and inefficient [ when you figure all the work involved in keeping it stocked and maintaining it.

And Completely antiquated isn't that going in reverse from central heating to a wood stove.

My point is the h.o should be told to put their money into windows, weatherization tightening up the house, adding insulation and zoning.

My bedrooms and living room were on the same split loop. I seperated the bedrooms onto their own zone with a thermostat in the master BR. Now I can run my wood stove and just run the boiler to heat up those bedrooms in the evening. No sense in heating the the garage if you're not working out there. Yo might want to insulate the garage ceiling to help keep the cold from migrating into those rooms.

The problem with rooms over unheated garages is air infiltration. Fiberglass batt insulation (if there is any)is ineffective against cold air from the garage. If you have kneewalls in the bonus room, this is another source of infiltration. By drilling holes and packing cellulose in the garage ceiling, this will cut off air flow. In the case of kneewalls, insulating under the roof plane with foam, or using foam chutes and cellulose and cutting off the eve air vents will do the job. This will also save energy, unlike adding more HVAC horsepower in that area.

Originally posted by uktra
    The problem with rooms over unheated garages is air infiltration. Fiberglass batt insulation (if there is any)is ineffective against cold air from the garage. If you have kneewalls in the bonus room, this is another source of infiltration. By drilling holes and packing cellulose in the garage ceiling, this will cut off air flow. In the case of kneewalls, insulating under the roof plane with foam, or using foam chutes and cellulose and cutting off the eve air vents will do the job. This will also save energy, unlike adding more HVAC horsepower in that area.
    Bingo
    two good responses
    see how easy that was

I also agree, I would also consider some sort of foam like the pink or blue styrofoam panels. I think they are like 4' x 8' and just resurface or laminate them to the garage roof, you'll only lose a couple of inches. Its a one time expense that will be the gift that keeps on giving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast