Heat Pump AND Strips Together?

Does the heat pump and Strips run at the same time?

Stips is 40 amps, Compressor is say 40 amps,,, Thats 80 amps,,, What a energy wast!

So, now i have to remove the Contactor from the heat strip supplie wire and add an seperate 10awg wire for the compressor, or use a 2 awg or 3 awg wire.

Thats just a bunch of garbage!!!!!!

Woops. Thought this was the tech forum.
    Last edited by martyinlincoln; 08-29-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: deleted

Heat strips should only come on when the t-stat calls for them.

I doubt the outdoor unit is actually drawing 40 amps even if it's 5 tons maximum circuit amperage and running load amps are two different things.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

The heat strips are only for emergency/Aux heat when it is too cold outside to effectively draw heat and during defrost cycle. They shouldn't be running during the normal heat cycle.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Massive dehumidifier you got there boss!
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

"They shouldn't be running during the normal heat cycle. "

They should be running as needed below the balance point while the heatpump operates.

Emergency and aux heat are not the same when it comes to controls. The former (100% resistance heat with no hp operation) should only be used during extreme cold and breakdowns.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    "They shouldn't be running during the normal heat cycle. "

They should be running as needed below the balance point while the heatpump operates.

Emergency and aux heat are not the same when it comes to controls. The former (100% resistance heat with no hp operation) should only be used during extreme cold and breakdowns.
    Thought that is what I said, just not in so many words. Guess I should be more specific from here out.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    Just my I would go for at least #8 wire on a forty amp breaker. #10 won't cut it.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.