Hi, I have an a/c only attic system. My attic is VERY cold this time of year. I shut the supply grills but wanted to go one further and use those magnetic sheets and cut to fit to prevent any expensive heat from going up. I also have one 16x32 return in the hallway that I would like to put this magnetic sheeting over to keep all the heat in my living area that I possibly can. Is there any downside to doing this? Here is a link to the material I am thinking of using. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PC-Magnetic-Sh...QQcmdZViewItem

Nevermind, won't work- they are aluminum which is non-magnetic. Good idea though if I do say so myself!

[Edited by rc_crfan on 12-04-2005 at 03:08 PM]

Overall I think it is a pretty good idea.

One problem I can see is if you are using non-vented appliances like a free standing Dearborn or your oven (neither one is recommended) to heat the house. The only thing that is keeping you from dieing of CO poisoning is the noxious gas escaping/diluted up through your a/c system in the attic.....

If something like that is going on then you definetly want to install a CO detector with digital readout.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I have electric appliances and I use a wood burning stove sometimes. I cut a piece of white cardboard and taped it over the return grille, and the 8 supply grilles I just shut with the lever.Every bit helps!

If you are using the wood stove for primary heat I would not worry too much about heat loss up the duct, those things put out a s**t load of heat anyway. If you are using the electric heat I would be tempted to cut some 2" styrofoam blocks and put them in the outlets. Just be sure to remove them in the spring.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Originally posted by rc_crfan
    Hi, I have an a/c only attic system. My attic is VERY cold this time of year. I shut the supply grills but wanted to go one further and use those magnetic sheets and cut to fit to prevent any expensive heat from going up. I also have one 16x32 return in the hallway that I would like to put this magnetic sheeting over to keep all the heat in my living area that I possibly can. Is there any downside to doing this? Here is a link to the material I am thinking of using. Thanks in advance.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PC-Magnetic-Sh...QQcmdZViewItem

Magnetic sheets can be purchased @ Home Cheapo, for covering
    grilles. Rec tangular grilles are probably made of steel.

Regarding the aluminum diffusers, place one piece of velcro
    on the diffuser and one piece on the new cover. This works very well on square/rectangular diffusers. If your diffusers
    are white the white velcro blends in nicely.
    I have used this method on my system for a few years,works great.

Thanks for the advice guys. I was thinking this afternoon and I came up with an idea for the return:
    I took a used 30 day blue filter, and I cut a piece of cardboard the same size of it and taped it to the filter, and put the filter with the cardboard taped to it up in there and closed the grille. In the spring I will take it out and save it for next winter, and put a new 30 day blue filter in while I am at it. That takes care of that one.

That is a good idea about the velcro. My diffusers are white and the white velcro should do the trick. I will look at Home depot for the magnet sheets.

Those sheets from Home Depot are great! I use them in a couple rooms in my parents house becaue the duct that feeds the second floor also feeds the celing vents on the lower level. So, in the summer, the second floor is always hot, and the first floor cold. (The first floor is on a slab, and has vents that run in the slab in addition to the celing).

They also work really well for bumber stickers. If you stick the bumper sticker to the maganet then cut around it you can then "stick" it to your car. This makes removal really easy.

oh - if you do that they need to come off BEFORE you go into the car wash.

Doug

Condensation in ducts

A troubling situation can develop with this type system. I have seen it many times in the mid-west.

In the winter warm moist air rises into the duct/air handler. If the attic is cold enough this moisture will condense no the inside of the air handler and duct.

This causes several problems, one of which is a perfect breeding ground for mold.

The reason I am posting this is to advise that merely closing the dampers on the supply grilles will not prevent air flowing into the system.

Both the supplies and returns should be "tightly" sealed during the heating season.

Good luck...

Re: Condensation in ducts

Originally posted by ruud-man
    A troubling situation can develop with this type system. I have seen it many times in the mid-west.

In the winter warm moist air rises into the duct/air handler. If the attic is cold enough this moisture will condense no the inside of the air handler and duct.

This causes several problems, one of which is a perfect breeding ground for mold.

The reason I am posting this is to advise that merely closing the dampers on the supply grilles will not prevent air flowing into the system.

Both the supplies and returns should be "tightly" sealed during the heating season.

Good luck...
    Boy, I'm glad somebody brought this up. Unless you can seal the ducting with a decent vapor barrier material and a decent insulative product, it may be best to put a timer on the blower of the attic system to turn the blower on a few minutes two or three times a day to prevent the moisture issues.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV