Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Outdoor air quality (!)

My husband and I just moved into a condo complex that has a restrictive smoking policy indoors and outdoors. He doesn't smoke inside, but he would like to be able to smoke outside on our deck. Rules allow it but only if he uses some sort of filtering/smoke eating system to keep the smoke/odor from bothering others on nearby decks, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wow! Never really thought about filtering smoke outside. Are your decks very open? or are they very tight and set up in a way that smoke would stand in the air? If you have plenty of fresh air, then I would think a good fan would do the trick. You should be able to mix the smoke with clean air fast enough that no one would notice. You would have some noise from the fan, but it's a cheap solution. Ventalation would better than filtration. Unless your space is very confined. You must be in FL or CA.
    I am very interested in what solutions may be out there. Good luck!

We are in WA and our deck is covered but open on 3 sides, so smoke can travel out and up. Others sitting on their decks nearby could detect cigar odors or just people passing by or I imagine (but do not actually know since we've not tried any of this yet), smoke could go into open doors or windows during the warm months ...we don't do air conditioning here, as there's little need. WA has a 25 ft rule around all commercial buildings prohibiting people from smoking within 25 feet and part of our complex houses commercial offices...it's not enforced very stringently, but there are some condo owners in this complex who would jump at the chance to enforce their new non-smoking policy.

Will continue to appreciate all suggestions...we're anticipating that the winter months will be easier as people won't have their windows and doors open. ...the fan might work, but I'd be concerned that it wouldn't cause cigar smoke to dissipate quickly enough to avoid the very sensitive noses nearby.

Thanks again.

Cigar smoke is going to be much harder to get rid of. I don't know what type of absorbtion like set up you could use outside. To be honest, even if you are able to get rid of 100% of the smell, people will still see him with a cigar smoking.

You're right, of course...perception is far more difficult than reality. Your fan idea may be the easiest and most effective. I was looking at some filtered ashtrays (several types available) and wondered if any of them were effective.

Usually charcoal media is used to remove odors. There are alot of air filters with charcoal that are supposed to do just that. I don't think anything small scale can handle cigar smoke. Your best bet will be to mix the smoke with clean air. As much and as fast as possible. Do you have any exhaust fans inside your condo? Kitchen or bathroom? Bathroom fans should exhaust outdoors and away from openings. Bathroom fans are pretty standard sizes. It maybe easy to upgrade your to something useful. If you were to open a door or window and smoke near the exhaust, the smoke should be drawn up and out. However, most bathroom fans are useless and you would have to limit your smoking area to the bathroom. It may be worth having a pro come out to see what can be built or installed.

This is all so helpful. Definitely helps direct my inquiries, even if I don't yet have the ultimate solution. Thank you again.

there are ways....idk how fiscally practical any of them will be lol.

There is always the option to quit...

MeThinks from reading your posts... we are dealing with attitude (from some of the neighbors) more than smoke.

Tricky situation... please let us know what you work out... THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Guess I should say that my 'one and only' doesn't smoke much...maybe two or three cigars a week and he can go for years not smoking at all...but I figure he works hard enough all week long that if he wants a cigar or pipe, he should have one. One incredible story from WA for those of you who don't know how extreme it's become here:

El Gaucho restaurants (old name here) invested 10's of thousands of dollars in air ventilation systems to offer smoking lounges in their restaurant/lounges...the smoking rooms were popular and just taking off financially, when and initiation passed that eventually banned all smoking in all commercial buildings (even private clubs) and any area within 25 feet of said buildings. Unfortunately we can't even blame this on the legislature...this was passed by a vote of the people.

No solid solution yet....think we'll wait for rainy season (it's never is too far away) when the neighbors will have their windows and doors shut and go ahead and see what happens. The only real need outside on the deck, I think, will be something to visually disguise the cigar itself and possibly a fan for quicker dispersal. It may not work, but worth a try....I'll let you know.

I'm not a smoker and I'm not around them but Amazon has a variety of product under "smoke eater" such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Buddy-Pe...6195701&sr=8-3

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by smokerspouse View Post
    Guess I should say that my 'one and only' doesn't smoke much...maybe two or three cigars a week and he can go for years not smoking at all...but I figure he works hard enough all week long that if he wants a cigar or pipe, he should have one. One incredible story from WA for those of you who don't know how extreme it's become here:

El Gaucho restaurants (old name here) invested 10's of thousands of dollars in air ventilation systems to offer smoking lounges in their restaurant/lounges...the smoking rooms were popular and just taking off financially, when and initiation passed that eventually banned all smoking in all commercial buildings (even private clubs) and any area within 25 feet of said buildings. Unfortunately we can't even blame this on the legislature...this was passed by a vote of the people.

No solid solution yet....think we'll wait for rainy season (it's never is too far away) when the neighbors will have their windows and doors shut and go ahead and see what happens. The only real need outside on the deck, I think, will be something to visually disguise the cigar itself and possibly a fan for quicker dispersal. It may not work, but worth a try....I'll let you know.
    THX for this post... I kinda figured this was part of politically correctness I hear about in your area. Down here in the South... we kinda chuckle about things like that.

We have a no-smoking ordinance for restaurants in the Metro Atlanta area (county by county)... with exemptions for specific situations. Personally, I quit cigs back in the early 1990's... Yet if a group wants to have a PRIVATE place they want to smoke... that is their business. There is a private club of retired VFW guys/gals not far from me... they can smoke and do as they want... because it is a PRIVATE club. Govt should IMO be required to respect that word: private.

When we allow govt to RULE over folks based on whims of a small % of folks... or idealistic whims... IMO we have lost track of what our country is about. Folks might want to go back and re-read the constitution again. Just my
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast