Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Frown

Okay - It is set to heat/emergency heat, I've cranked the requested temp 6 degrees above the thermostat reading and the system isn't running at all. Tried setting the fan to stay on and that didn't help. Actually, if I turn it on (the fan) for a bit, then turn it off, the system stays running on it's own for about another 5 minutes, but not long enough to go up a degree.

So I guess I have no emergency heat on the thing either. The thermostat shows it is on, the system just doesn't run in this mode. I mean it should be blowing something in this mode right? Grrrrrrrrr.

On the thermostat

Set the system to off and the fan to on,,wait 1 minute anything? happen ??

you should have a blower running.

yes or no

[Edited by pjs on 12-04-2005 at 01:16 PM]

Yes - the fan works fine all by itself. (With the thermostat off even)

Is there a double breaker on the front of the air handler

Originally posted by relentless
    Okay - It is set to heat/emergency heat, I've cranked the requested temp 6 degrees above the thermostat reading and the system isn't running at all. Tried setting the fan to stay on and that didn't help. Actually, if I turn it on (the fan) for a bit, then turn it off, the system stays running on it's own for about another 5 minutes, but not long enough to go up a degree.

So I guess I have no emergency heat on the thing either. The thermostat shows it is on, the system just doesn't run in this mode. I mean it should be blowing something in this mode right? Grrrrrrrrr.
    Sounds like you have a wiring issue with the emergency heat, or it is like many I see around here and just does not have enough Kw to make a difference without the heat pump running. It is very commom here to see the emergency heat not wired up and we also see only 5 kw strips fairly often. Really just useless when you really need heat.

Bobby

Okay - we have heat. A guy came by and it there was something (a valve loose) so all the fluid had been leaking out.

But yes, you are correct regarding the emergency heat. It is definately not wired or miswired, so I am glad to have discovered this now. I will still call the builder to get that corrected, but at least I can sleep here tonight.

You guys are great and I am overwhelmed by the amount of assistance offered.

THANK YOU!

Your Welcome

There was a valve loose on the refrigerant lines? Wow. That's a pretty major oversight right there..

Schrader core, would be my guesss.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Well, you know - these things happen - or so I am told.

Anyway, it stopped working again Sunday night so they had to come out anyway yesterday. They got it up and running again and then took a look at the lack of emergency heat. It's not wired wrong - the heat strips were never installed.

Now that's an oversight!

I have asked around and apparently they are a very good company, but I guess I just got lucky - lol. I let my builder know what happened though and he was more upset than me, since of course he paid them. We will have to figure out when my husband can take another day off to arrange to have the install completed, either Thursday or Friday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12