+ Reply to Thread

Thread: refrigerant seal

Post Likes

refrigerant seal

HI all. i have a client who had another company come out and work on his carrier mini split. the first night it was low oin charge so he added x948 sealer (?). 2 days later his compressor fails. the other companies tech told him that it is normal for the compressor to fail after a unit loses freon. (he must be an idiot). I have a feeling it was the leak sealer. any thoughts?

thanks,

Post Likes

Post Likes
    If it walks like a .....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by got heat View Post
    HI all. i have a client who had another company come out and work on his carrier mini split. the first night it was low oin charge so he added x948 sealer (?). 2 days later his compressor fails. the other companies tech told him that it is normal for the compressor to fail after a unit loses freon. (he must be an idiot). I have a feeling it was the leak sealer. any thoughts?

thanks,
    I have seen a unit with leak sealer installed and the compressor was locked up. It does also seem that when compressors run for a while with low freon, and high superheat....they die more frequently.

I guess some of the "pros" are so insecure that they do the popcorn thing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    I have seen a unit with leak sealer installed and the compressor was locked up. It does also seem that when compressors run for a while with low freon, and high superheat....they die more frequently.

I guess some of the "pros" are so insecure that they do the popcorn thing?
    No, alot of the pros have seen it happen before, and have had this conversation many times.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacvegas View Post
    No, alot of the pros have seen it happen before, and have had this conversation many times.
    We have used the sealant on some last ditch effort units that are dead soon anyway. The customer knows the risk. Not for every unit. They ought to put the stuff on Goodman at the factory.

12 posts on a web forum does not a Pro make.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseAir View Post
    We have used the sealant on some last ditch effort units that are dead soon anyway. The customer knows the risk. Not for every unit. They ought to put the stuff on Goodman at the factory.

12 posts on a web forum does not a Pro make.
    Are you suggesting that stamas is not a HVAC professional?
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Post Likes
    Trying to figure where he was going with that comment too.

The popcorn and toe tap is dual purpose, watching the thread responses because this topic has come up here plenty of times and the discussions get heated at times.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Trying to figure where he was going with that comment too.

The popcorn and toe tap is dual purpose, watching the thread responses because this topic has come up here plenty of times and the discussions get heated at times.
    You know I wad totally mis-interpreting that one. Sorry. That's one of the disadvantages of not being able to see who you're talking to.

Post Likes
    Sealer is a last ditch effort at our company.
    We install a '5*2*1 Compressor Saver' with the stuff to keep the compressor going.
    I've seen 5 out of 10 locked up in 2 weeks.
    Sometimes its a mental hurdle for the client not to give up to soon on the system, at least if its total failure - its easer for the client.
    luck dan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in