I recently moved into a new house that has a Bryant Legacy series 90 percent efficient furnace. I understand that these high efficiency furnaces do have moisture condense from the exhaust gases, so they have a drain just like the a/c coil does.

I have noticed that my furnace has started making a noise that I never heard before. It sounds literally like water running (not dripping) down the flue pipe. It makes this noise as soon as the burner starts firing. I am confused about two things. First, it sounds like a lot of water. Second, when I check the drain pipe, there is absolutely no water coming out.

Does anyone know the source of this noise, is it water, and is this normal for one of these furnaces?

Thanks

Chaz

You might be hearing a blockage of condensate in the induced draft blower being moved by the blower wheel. Sounds get very amplified and bounce all over the place in condensing furnace systems. Either way, you should have it looked at by a pro to make sure there is no partial blockage that will cause a failure later.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Or it could also be the flue pipe isn't sloped properly. Do as RoBo suggested.

possible solution to drain problem

I decided this noise must represent some kind of problem with the furnace. For one thing the blower fan never stayed on for more than about two minutes but the inducer fan was running almost constantly.

I opened the front of the furnace and compared it to the installation manual to see if the drains were connected properly. Just by wiggling the inducer drain line I got what sounded like about a pint of water to drain out of the inducer housing. The drain hose is not flexible enough to make the sharp 90 deg turn down where it connects to the inducer housing. It was bulging upwards some before it changed direction downwards. I think that was preventing it from draining.

I am still going to have it serviced, but I am hoping it will run better until it can be looked at. The heat came on after I replaced the front panel and upped the thermostat one degree. It seems to be running longer now and without the gurgling water noise.

Chaz

Thanks for your responses everyone

The suggetion about the inducer drain blockage was right on the money I think.

Chaz