Question

I replaced my old 2 1/2 Ton York system with a new 3 ton Trane XL16i HP and VS blower last month. Well today my installer came out and replaced my trane touch screen TS with the Trane touch screen TS w/ humidity control. I assumed the switch out went fine. The last month it has been fairly mild, here in PA, and everything seemed to be working just fine. Well today it got very cold and is now about 28 degrees outside. When I got home from work about 5:30pm my new TS read 68 degrees inside. So I bumped the setting up to 71 degrees. Well the heat has been on now for about 5 1/2 hours and it has never reached 71 degrees on the TS. I know it's cold outside but to raise the temp. 3 degrees should not be a problem, I wouldn't think. Is there something wrong here? I have a call in with my installer but so far he has not called me back. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It is likely that 28 is below the ballance point for the system in your house, at least for 1st stage heat, so it is normal for the system to run continuously while maintaining a temperature a degree or 2 lower than the thermostat setting.

If this is a problem for you, ask your installer about installing an outdoor thermostat between Y1 and Y2 in the outdoor unit so the heat pump will always run in 2nd stage when it is below the outdoor temperature set point.
    The setting for the outdoor thermostat should be determined based on the ballance point of the system. If the installing contractor did load calculations, it won't be a problem for them to set it up properly.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thumbs up 2000 S.F. ?

Originally posted by mark beiser
    It is likely that 28 is below the balance point for the system in your house, at least for 1st stage heat, so it is normal for the system to run continuously while maintaining a temperature a degree or 2 lower than the thermostat setting.
    Mark,
    So, the TS should be set to 73'F?

4TWX6036 with 4TEE3F040
    Temp _ Heating
    'F __ BTUH ___C.O.P.
    17' __ 22,200 _ 2.96
    35' __ 25,920 _ 3.28
    47' __ 33,200 _ 4.06

What Great Equipment selection!

House Size _,____ S.F. ( 2,000)
    Age __ ( < 20 years ?)
    # windows __ ( 14 ? )

I can provide a rough balance point,
    but 2nd stage should likely come on at > 36'F.
    more later ...
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

We just lower the CPH for second stage on the vision pro stats, when we get this complait.

Ask your installer if he can do that to your stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Do you have a straight Heat Pump only, or do you have auxillary heat (electric, or gas)?

If you have a single stage furnace, or electic heat with only one contactor, you need to have a jumper between the auxillary heat and emergency heat terminals on the touch screen thermostat.

This will bring on the auxillary heat when the compressor lockout temp is reached, or when needed.

(This is assuming you have an outdoor temperature sensor on the S1&S2 terminals set up to control the system)

[Edited by installer 123 on 12-03-2005 at 08:32 AM]