Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: york r-114 comp

york r-114 comp

had a quick question? im in the navy and im working on a york r-114 comp. and need to pull out all the liquid..i suggested we use the push pull methood but was told i didnt know what i was talking about by some ******* officer who thinks he knows everthing..anyway i know the refrigerant is used to cool the bearings but im not running the comp, but useing my own recovery unit to provide the pressure to help "push" the liquid out. now is this method a good idea or bad...its a large ton ac on a sub..i am new to the hvac world but iv read a lot of the books and the methood i have propsed seems to be the most logical????

Quote Originally Posted by felch_usn View Post
    had a quick question? im in the navy and im working on a york r-114 comp. and need to pull out all the liquid..i suggested we use the push pull methood but was told i didnt know what i was talking about by some ******* officer who thinks he knows everthing..anyway i know the refrigerant is used to cool the bearings but im not running the comp, but useing my own recovery unit to provide the pressure to help "push" the liquid out. now is this method a good idea or bad...its a large ton ac on a sub..i am new to the hvac world but iv read a lot of the books and the methood i have propsed seems to be the most logical????
    If you have the time, take a look at the overall site rules. Apply for "pro" status so you can gain access to the "pro only" forums where you can ask such questions and get some top quality help & advice from some of the best professionals in the industry in this nation -and a few other countries to boot. This site will certainly help someone in the navy as much as they can.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Welcome felch.
    Join in some discussions, get your posts up and go for pro.

I see no problem with push pull.
    The deepest discussions are for pros only. But you can see that we get pretty deep sometimes as in this thread. We enjoy the challenges of HVAC and want to help others get the best that HVAC has to offer.

At the opening page of every forum is a button in the left top corner area that invites you to start a new thread. That is the best way to introduce a new discussion topic. You will catch on quickly enough. Submarines aren't what they used to be.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Felch,

I relocated your question to a new thread.

Is this submarine system a centrifugal or screw compressor liquid chiller?

If so , what you can do is get the numbers off the unit , and download the service manual which can often help big time.

Dont know if military refrigeration equipment is custom built or off the shelf so to speak.

The way the system is configured can have a big impact on the method and steps it would take to recover the refrigerant.

good luck.

would work, but very slow. best to use a liquid refrigerant pump designed for low pressure machine recovery.

former USN 1974-1980

Describe the system that you're working with.

refrigerant one-fourteen is medium pressure.

not to be confused with one-thirteen.

thanks for the help ill try to get more info...and how do i get the pro sight i guess i tried and thought this was it...

chris where abouts did you relocate it, and i sent in the form for pro stat. i think...thanks

v/r MM3 Felch USN AS-40 Frank Cable

Quote Originally Posted by AiResearch View Post
    refrigerant one-fourteen is medium pressure.

not to be confused with one-thirteen.
    uh did u ever work on R-114 it's also classified as a low pressure refrigerant although has higher pressures than R-11. USN changed to this from R-11 as centrifugal chillers would run about 0 psi on the low side instead of 15" of vacuum as vacuum leaks and moisture are the death of centrifugal chillers and on a Navy ship with all of the movement and expansion/contraction it was very hard to prevent vacuum leaks. On the high side R-114 would run about 30 psi verses about 8 psi for R-11. In 30+ years never have worked on a R-113 chiller, not saying they're not out there, just never seen one.
    Last edited by superfittertech; 08-28-2011 at 11:44 PM.

If I recall (been a few years), the R-114 units on the subs have a pretty good recovery system built in, along with full procedures for pretty much everything you could come across. Ask the guys in the engine room for the approved procedures, and just stick with them.

thats the hard part, getting the help from the sub...they have no tech on board and the p.p.u. is out of service.so i have to take the liquid from the bottom of the receiver and put it in about 30 or so recovery bottles...so thats why i suggested the push-pull methood, but was told immediately that Ill break the comp, but I tried to tell them the comp. doesnt need to be running. but then again was told I know nothing about AC/R..so Ive been just researching around to see if my idea had any marret... and maybe get some backup next time I have any other questions..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast