Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 27
  1. #1
    New Goodman 90 plus , 115 k. in counterflow position. I installed it per the instructions , has a good pitch toward the front of the furnace, no blockages detected. The problem is this : the leftside drain on the secondary heat exchanger wont drain , and, after approx. 15 minutes of run time, it trips the pressure switch . Removing the drain tubing allows the water to gush out once the furnace is shut down. Then, the problem repeats itself. Furnace is pitched well , drain tubing is pitched downward toward the trap which is on the righthand side of the furnace , and, trap is full of condensate . Vent motor is in the factory position .

    Thought id try here first before calling Goodman. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Can't think of any reason it won't drain if everything is hooked up right and there is no air leakage in the drain system.

    What model?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Location!, Location!
    Posts
    929
    On the GMS9 i&o manual, it doesn't show a connection to the left side drain port when using trap on the right side. I assume you have a GCS9 as the GMS is not for counterflow? That manual also shows no connection from the left side to a trap on the right.
    Did you relocate rubber elbow to outside of burner compartment?
    What are the 2 white plastic tubes going into the trap connected to?
    One should be collector box right side drain and the other should be bottom tap of rubber elbow(after you cut out the blank).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5
    Just curious, but is there a tee installed in the flue just after the I.D.motor that drains into the pump or drain line?

    [Edited by yjet on 12-03-2005 at 02:31 AM]

  5. #5
    Originally posted by rimek
    On the GMS9 i&o manual, it doesn't show a connection to the left side drain port when using trap on the right side. I assume you have a GCS9 as the GMS is not for counterflow? That manual also shows no connection from the left side to a trap on the right.
    Did you relocate rubber elbow to outside of burner compartment?
    What are the 2 white plastic tubes going into the trap connected to?
    One should be collector box right side drain and the other should be bottom tap of rubber elbow(after you cut out the blank).
    REPLY: Its a GCS . Im quite certain in 'my' instructions it showed a box leftside drain with rightside trap ; in any case, i pulled out the box rightside plug and it didnt drain either with furnace running -- it too gushes out with furnace off. Both rubber elbows are just outside of the compartment ; one is connected to the exhaust pipe bottom tap (with blank cut out) and the other is for the leftside box drain -- both are pitched and immersed in trap condensate.

  6. #6
    Originally posted by yjet
    Just curious, but is there a tee installed in the flue just after the I.D.motor that drains into the pump or drain line?

    [Edited by yjet on 12-03-2005 at 02:31 AM]
    REPLY: On the Goodman GCS, it uses a rubber drain fitting that is part of the vent elbow right after the discharge of the vent motor ; its located on the bottom of the elbow and it is draining fine.

    There is no tee that you have to add .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Location!, Location!
    Posts
    929
    I was asking about the large rubber elbow, if you moved it outside of cabinet. When you say you remove the plug, did you connect the tube to the port? In the online information, the manual is the same as mine-there is no left side used for a right side trap, all indications are that the right side collector box drain is the one to use, all others must be sealed, a picture would help here. Somethig is not sealed, either by trap or c-box, that's a classic symptom-that the unit holds back condensate. Incidentally, how did your red & green clamps fit?




    [Edited by rimek on 12-03-2005 at 08:03 AM]

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    Originally posted by hvacfella
    REPLY: Its a GCS . Im quite certain in 'my' instructions it showed a box leftside drain with rightside trap ; in any case, i pulled out the box rightside plug and it didnt drain either with furnace running -- it too gushes out with furnace off. Both rubber elbows are just outside of the compartment ; one is connected to the exhaust pipe bottom tap (with blank cut out) and the other is for the leftside box drain -- both are pitched and immersed in trap condensate.
    The instructions; http://securenet.goodmanmfg.com/pdf/...Lit/IO-244.PDF
    on page 20, show the drain from the right tap when the trap is installed on the right. I don't really see how running from the left tap should make a difference though.

    The condensate will not flow from an open tap port in the collector box while the furnace is operational because of the higher pressure of the atmospher outside of the box pushing air into the box during blower operation which keeps the condensate from coming out.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, MN
    Posts
    20
    The longest drain line is for the elbow the inducer feeds into. It doesn't matter which side the drain cup is located on that hose has to be used, so if you have the cup/trap on the right side you need to shorten that hose. This also means that the recoup cover drain will need to be on whatever side the drain cup is on. I know it doesn't seem right, you'd think a furnace would drain water no matter what side the drains are on.

  10. #10
    Originally posted by rimek
    I was asking about the large rubber elbow, if you moved it outside of cabinet. When you say you remove the plug, did you connect the tube to the port? In the online information, the manual is the same as mine-there is no left side used for a right side trap, all indications are that the right side collector box drain is the one to use, all others must be sealed, a picture would help here. Somethig is not sealed, either by trap or c-box, that's a classic symptom-that the unit holds back condensate. Incidentally, how did your red & green clamps fit?




    [Edited by rimek on 12-03-2005 at 08:03 AM]
    REPLY: No, the big rubber exhaust elbow is in the factory position ; yes, i pushed the plastic fitting into the big rubber exhaust elbow nipple -- that section drains fine. I am indeed wrong, as i misunderstood the instructions/diagram as far as going with the leftside drain. I shall change it to the rightside and plug the leftside port. Hopefully that will solve it. I sure hope so anyway.
    Thanks for your help.

  11. #11
    'Brand bashers make the HVAC profession appear petty and unprofessional.
    '

    REPLY: Knocking a particular brand comes about from repeated experience with failures, poor serviceability, and/or design ; it is not a crime to caution someone about such a brand if the above is taking place routinely. Further, i dont think it makes the Trade 'petty and unprofessional' ... i think we should police every facet of this Trade with the goal of making it better for the Consumer, especially. If a particular manufacturer recieves bad press on one of thier products, then hopefully it will spur them to make a better product. If you got a lemon of a car that you bought brand new, would you keep quiet about it ? Not many would.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,923
    You're entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I have no problems with pointing out faulty features of certain models of equipment, but to bash a brand is indeed petty and unprofessional.

    My comment does not apply to this thread if that's what you are thinking. You have a legitimate issue that needs to be resolved. If it turns out that there is a flaw in the design of that unit, then it is good to find that out and have something done about it. As it stands though, it seems that there must be something else going on with this unit as hundreds of other ones of the same model are not having this issue.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  13. #13
    'You're entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. I have no problems with pointing out faulty features of certain models of equipment, but to bash a brand is indeed petty and unprofessional
    '

    REPLY: How can you point out problems with a certain model without bashing the brand that it is ?! By 'bash' , im talking about being vocal in a degrading manner of the Manufacturer for the model unit that is faulty/poor design/etc -- If its a truly constructive and valid point, then it should be raised ; to be silent about such matters is disengenuous really . I dont believe in being tolerant of an inferior model , and the fact of the matter is, MOST model furnaces have some type of design/engineering/servi-ceability/reliability/operational flaw inherent to it ; this includes the esteemed Lennox , Trane, and Carrier (certain) models. While i believe the quality of furnaces are improving, it has been at a tremendous expense to the consumer financially.

    'My comment does not apply to this thread if that's what you are thinking.
    '

    REPLY: No, i understand that it doesnt apply to this thread. I was just responding to this issue, in general.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event