Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

working on the condenser in the rain

It's my first year of working on ac and I'm on call tonight. It's the first time I've gotten calls for ac work at night and in the rain. I have to call the customer back and explain that it's not safe to work outside on the condenser in the rain. How have you handled this problem and is it just because there is a hurricane hitting this area tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by earlburnermann View Post
    It's my first year of working on ac and I'm on call tonight. It's the first time I've gotten calls for ac work at night and in the rain. I have to call the customer back and explain that it's not safe to work outside on the condenser in the rain. How have you handled this problem and is it just because there is a hurricane hitting this area tonight?
    I usually tell customers I can't do any thing in the rain. I have seen some gung ho types try to do it under an umbrella. But from experience I can tell you that 220 while standing in water is a very memorable experience that I do not want to visit again. I was very very very lucky or maybe the big man upstairs just has pity on fools.

I would get out there and fix them up, but thats just me. Would you take the day off if it was raining at 12pm? Get a big tarp to drape over you!

Have you talked to the customer, what do they describe the problem as, maybe its a quick fix?

Yes, all of my techs (not installers) would take the day off at noon rather than work in the rain. Certainly wouldn't go out on a late call in the rain. They don't want to get wet, they don't want their tools wet, they don't want the components of the customer's A/C wet. We had one poor installer who stuck it out in the rain get rewarded by ruining his micron gauge last year. Tarps can do so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    I would get out there and fix them up, but thats just me. Would you take the day off if it was raining at 12pm? Get a big tarp to drape over you!

Have you talked to the customer, what do they describe the problem as, maybe its a quick fix?
    The customer told me that the air coming out of the vents where not as cool as it should be. I've been in the oil heating business for almost 30 years and am used to working under some pretty crummy conditions. I Don't have a problem coming home tired and dirty. Just want to make it home.

Well, could be a simple as a bad fuse in the disconnect? Maybe just a bad Cap? It's a judgment call I guess, if a guy wants to take the risk or not.

if you didn't go out forget till monday morning..i'm down in Lindenhurst heavy rain and winds..sunday forget it...call you servie mangaer if it is a store he'll be closed tommorow...
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Quote Originally Posted by Damien View Post
    Well, could be a simple as a bad fuse in the disconnect? Maybe just a bad Cap? It's a judgment call I guess, if a guy wants to take the risk or not.
    That was my 220 experience. As soon as I stuck my meter on disconnect. A bunch of pine straw come of the roof with about five gallons of water behind it. I remember seeing the water hit my hands. The next thing I remember is sitting up about ten feet where I was with a melted meter in my hands. No ones comfort is worth a human life.

Not working in the rain isn't an option for me.

I won't work in lightning and I'm not going to open a system up in a storm, but otherwise, break out the rain gear, get a good hat and get back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Not working in the rain isn't an option for me.

I won't work in lightning and I'm not going to open a system up in a storm, but otherwise, break out the rain gear, get a good hat and get back to work.
    for commercial refrigeration i will work in the rain, for residential a/c they can wait for it to stop or call you..

Inform the customer of your fees and the possibility that it could be a quick fix(capacitor, fuse, breaker, contactor) and fixable in the rain or it could be something major and due to safety concerns(high voltage and water) it won't be fixable.

Either way you expect to be paid if THEY choose to have you come out.

that is my method.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

I work in all weather conditions. Rain, snow, heat, night or day. However I will never put my personal safety at risk. No matter what the circumstances. I have never been on a job or met a customer that is so important that it cannot wait till inclimate weather passes within reason.

and you sure can't balance a charge with a wet condenser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast