Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheat sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    my point is dont rely too much on factory charge, as far as weighing a charge in to get it close, yes that is alright. but checking SC and SH is mandatory how do you know if the systems is working right. I usely charge a systems with no scale.
    Sounds about what I do.

Goodman units aren't shipped with 15ft anyways.
    Their shipped for somewhere between 20ft and 100ft lineset. There's no method to it, other than the shorter the lineset, the more overcharged it is.

Any dry unit, I can weigh in on the money.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    nor is he in compliance with EPA for not keeping refrigerant records. just sayin...

Reread the section on record keeping. Don't need to keep records.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-28-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by texas2golfer View Post
    I don't always use a scale to weigh in ref. I also know that I have recovered ref from a factory sealed unit and it was no where near what the data plate said factory charge was. I do use my scale after each job and write on the tank the weight in permanent marker. I keep a notebook that I log each call into to keep up with ref used.
    I usually keep the scales going during a recharge. I like to see how much refrigerant is going in so I know the total weight vs what the factory charge +/- line set length comes to. I guess I feel it helps me understand when something may not be right if I start getting very close to what should be in there but the readings don't jive because of a component weakness or failure. Maybe with a few more years of experience I won't be doing it this way.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    Without a doubt I agree on dialing in a system with SH/SC is the proper way to go but I was addressing the long line set situation and or dry system and recharge.

How do you know how much to charge a customer for refrigerant if you don't weigh out what you are putting in? Just curious if you use a flat fee per tonnage or some other method?

Nice looking wrap on the van btw.
    I do use scale for service, we charge $ pernce ounze. I was thinking you guys were talking about new installs. Thanks for the comments
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-28-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: price
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 1adam12 View Post
    nor is he in compliance with EPA for not keeping refrigerant records. just sayin...
    We are not in the states and the EPA is a big joke! they are just fronts for big business!!
    Do it right the first time.

There is a stock formula that has to do with the capacity of the pipe sizes.

For example, if you take the length of the liquid line say 3/8" and multiply it by .037 (or something like that) it will give you the liquid volume of that line. Same for 1/4". Length times 0.015 (not exact but you get the idea).

I used to have it committed to memory, but all the manufacturers now have that info in the install manual and most of the Japanese manufacturers put the charging info on the service cover at the condenser. Right under the schematic.

These are just rules of thumb. Take a moment and read the charging info with the condenser, they all seem to have the multipliers in there now.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    We are not in the states and the EPA is a big joke! they are just fronts for big business!!
    I would say they are fronts for big government since they are moving big business out of country and killing small business. Them being a big joke we can agree on. But that is probably best for ARP section.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12