Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheat sheet?

cheat sheet?

anyone know of a cheat sheet for charging a new reidental a/c unit with 410a. i know the condensor comes with about 10-15 feet of chage in the unit but im dealing with a 30 to almost 40 foot line set. and i heard of a cheat sheet for weight to lenght , seeing if i can same an hour of pissing it in and checking.

I think our installers go .6 oz. per foot after 15ft

The install manual has the instructions for how much additional charge to add.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Use the installation book, it comes handy with useful info. I do have to say, Goodman use to lack a lot of info., but now there better.

you can get close to correct charge by adding 3 oz for every 5 feet after the first 15 feet. After that use manufacturers target subcool to dial it in within 3 degrees of target for TXV system.

all I remember seeing is the 0.6oz per foot over 15' on residential units I have worked with that use a 3/8 liquid line. Have seen some older stuff use a 1/4" liquid line that I am sure would be less than 0.6oz per additional foot.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

yah as long as unit has the right amount from factory. Weighing refrigerant is alright but learn how to used SC/SH.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    yah as long as unit has the right amount from factory. Weighing refrigerant is alright but learn how to used SC/SH.
    I like to weigh in to get close to the target charge on long line sets. Loading to factory weights for the 15' and then throttling in on the vapor side the rest of the way can take forever sometimes.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

my point is dont rely too much on factory charge, as far as weighing a charge in to get it close, yes that is alright. but checking SC and SH is mandatory how do you know if the systems is working right. I usely charge a systems with no scale.
    Do it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by 21degrees View Post
    my point is dont rely too much on factory charge, as far as weighing a charge in to get it close, yes that is alright. but checking SC and SH is mandatory how do you know if the systems is working right. I usely charge a systems with no scale.
    Without a doubt I agree on dialing in a system with SH/SC is the proper way to go but I was addressing the long line set situation and or dry system and recharge.

How do you know how much to charge a customer for refrigerant if you don't weigh out what you are putting in? Just curious if you use a flat fee per tonnage or some other method?

Nice looking wrap on the van btw.
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

nor is he in compliance with EPA for not keeping refrigerant records. just sayin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post
    Without a doubt I agree on dialing in a system with SH/SC is the proper way to go but I was addressing the long line set situation and or dry system and recharge.

How do you know how much to charge a customer for refrigerant if you don't weigh out what you are putting in? Just curious if you use a flat fee per tonnage or some other method?

Quote Originally Posted by Rcb2875 View Post

My boss also said he never charged systems by weight, nor on service calls. Thats what I asked him, how would you know what to charge for price?

Weigh factory in and then fine tune with SH/SC

Plus in this field, WE NEED FACTS

I don't always use a scale to weigh in ref. I also know that I have recovered ref from a factory sealed unit and it was no where near what the data plate said factory charge was. I do use my scale after each job and write on the tank the weight in permanent marker. I keep a notebook that I log each call into to keep up with ref used.
    Last edited by texas2golfer; 08-28-2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast