Climatemaster Tranquility 27 Issues

Climatemaster Tranquility 27
    • Size 026
    • Age 5yr
    • Open loop system

I installed the unit myself after the dealer went out of business. It worked flawlessly for five years.
    In Feb 2011 the unit shut down in cooling mode with a FP2 error code, I contacted CM and was directed to a contractor in a nearby city and they dispatched a tech.
    After a cursory inspection he ordered and installed an expansion valve, weighed in a charge and left. Two days later I had the same FP2 shutdown, the tech returned and said I had a low charge due to a leak in the evaporator coil which he ordered, changed, replaced the charge and left.
    Two weeks later I had the same FP2 shutdown, this time it was the dryer had to be changed.
    Had the same shutdown again after 3 weeks and the tech started looking for a leak after gauges indicated a low charge.
    This same scenario took place over and over as he couldn't find the leak, finally he discovered a leak in one of the port valves, replaced the core, recharged and left... Lasted another few weeks.
    On his last visit he discovered a leak in one of his solder joints, repaired, recharged and left.
    One month later I had the same FP2 shutdown.

This unit works flawlessly now with book perfect specs for several days even weeks then out of the blue a FP2 shutdown. I finally caught it happening in real time, I watched the exiting water temp slowly dropping and the discharge air slowly rising until a FP2 occurred. Restarted the unit and it worked book perfect.
    My conclusion:
    I think there is moisture freezing and plugging the expansion valve as the tech reweighed in so many charges and maybe didn't have good evacuation. Since we have no other contractors within 100 mi that have the abilities (or desire) to troubleshoot a water source unit I would like to pin this down and just call a tech to just replace the expansion valve, dryer, and weigh in a charge.

Thanks for listening, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    Bob.

Coupronickel he? Been descaled at all? Interesting situation, look forward to hearing solution. Hope you share it.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Coupronickel he? Been descaled at all? Interesting situation, look forward to hearing solution. Hope you share it.
    Yes, cupro-nickel
    I descale once yearly using the CM recommended product.

I should also add that the FP2 thermistor was changed.

I suspect the tech is a hack the drier should have been replaced with the txv and also should have been replaced with the coil .hope he did not charge you to do somthing that should have already been done twice

The dryer was only replaced once, it was the last component changed during a service call while trying to find the leak.

Any time a refrigerant drier is exposed to the atmosphere it is good refrigeration practice to replace it so it should have been replaced with the txv and also

So I may be totally wrong here, so take this all with a grain of salt... If my memory serves me correctly, the FP2 on the CM Tranq 27 series protects the ground loop from freezing, not the refrigerant side of the system. That is why when I was installing the tranquilities I would cut the FP2 once the methanol was added to the loop. Is there any chance you are experiencing a water pump failure? I cant see how that would cause an FP2 in cooling mode (it definately could in heating), but I'm just trying to get a grasp of what is going on here...
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

What is the full model number? what is your entering water temp?....It appears this "tech" you have comming out, doesnt know how to work on a geo unit or a refrigeration machine at all....every time you open the system....change the drier, followed by proper pressure test, evac, then charge by nameplate.

(FP2 is air coil temp on the DXM board)
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

Aren't geo systems really tricky to open and service because there is so little refrigerant?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    Aren't geo systems really tricky to open and service because there is so little refrigerant?
    No...just the same as any other system...that one has 58oz AZ-20 (R-410A)
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

No, they are the same as any other system, but the spaces are very confined, so it can be difficult to replace refrigerant circuit components...

Also, you are 100% right. FP2 is for the refrigerant circuit. FP1 is for the ground loop... I stand totally corrected...
    It's not rocket-science...

It's electromechanical thermodynamic engineering

What are your entering and leaving water temps? Also entering and leaving air temps.