+ Reply to Thread

Thread: carrier

Post Likes

carrier

i have a carrier 3 ton air handler in my attic and cant figure out how to clean the coil. there is no access what so ever. the coil is actually in the air handler. i think its a 3 year old system.

Post Likes
    Normally we take the coil outside and pressure wash it.

And if this is "Tech to Tech", why are HO's here? (Home Owners)

And for the 1,000,000 time... Look at the "Tech to Tech Chat", See Something In RED Like... NO AOP OR DIY>>
    Yes, I know I Shouldn't But I Just Can't Help Myself...

Post Likes
    wow ...lots of work... i was hoping to stick a can of coil cleaner in there and spray. then hose down with water hose.

Post Likes
    You are going to spray down a coil in an attic with a water hose?

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by el_coyote2373 View Post
    wow ...lots of work... i was hoping to stick a can of coil cleaner in there and spray. then hose down with water hose.
    Speechless... really I am. Good luck with that.
    "I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1766

Post Likes
    Shoot a video of that please so I can show to the techs. I'll put it in the what not to do section or homeowners that spend more trying to save a buck lol.

Post Likes
    first off if your having to clean a 3yo coil then you have worse problems then needing to clean a coil. If everything is done properly with the R/A sealed properly and the HO changes the filter on a regular basis a coil shouldn't have to be cleaned.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cuchulain View Post
    first off if your having to clean a 3yo coil then you have worse problems then needing to clean a coil. If everything is done properly with the R/A sealed properly and the HO changes the filter on a regular basis a coil shouldn't have to be cleaned.
    Not to step on the proverbial toe , but even in an ideal dust free enviroment with a nice PROPERLY sealed return and regular filter changes with those nice high dollar dust and allergan filters. A yearly to bi-annually application of self rinsing coil cleaner and inspection of the air handling unit by a technician with credentials is still highly recommended. To top it I have heard that some companies give the extended 10 year warranties contingent upon the H/O keeping a service agreement preferably with them,and they will not honor the warranty if the agreement is not kept. Besides who doesnt recommend to clean an evaporator/indoor coil ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoMaintPro View Post
    Not to step on the proverbial toe , but even in an ideal dust free enviroment with a nice PROPERLY sealed return and regular filter changes with those nice high dollar dust and allergan filters. A yearly to bi-annually application of self rinsing coil cleaner and inspection of the air handling unit by a technician with credentials is still highly recommended. To top it I have heard that some companies give the extended 10 year warranties contingent upon the H/O keeping a service agreement preferably with them,and they will not honor the warranty if the agreement is not kept. Besides who doesnt recommend to clean an evaporator/indoor coil ?
    Do you believe that on a clean coil simply applying self rinsing coil cleaner will be sufficient to maintain a clean coil? I don't get to use it often and was curious if it's really that good, because if it is, it seems like a good time saver on those bi-annual maintenance agreements.

Post Likes

Lightbulb

Not all self rinsing cleaner are the same . The ones that are a brighter green in color seem to work a little better as far as clinging to the coil . The clingy is what I look for ,that is what emulsifies the dirt to really get it out. I use it almost full strength so it leaves an actual "I just got my coil cleaned " smell which is ok and safe for the H/O. I also get the one that is USDA approved for use in meat packing plant or whatever the bottle says. Remember though , this stuff will keep a clean coil clean .If you got one that has grown stuff I would go foamy cleaner which is hard to work with indoors and dangerous ,or I would pull it and wash it garden hose style with foamy cleaner in an outdoor enviroment. But to answer your question ,yes the self rinsing stuff is a great time saver. I use it on all my already properly clean coils. IF you think about it you could spray it on a heat pump in winter and the defrost cycle would rinse it .Or at least I think it would

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in