I am getting a York Pt9 80,000 btuh furnace installed in my house next week (2stage, multi-speed (not variable)). The installer says he will put in a Robert Shaw 9600 programmable digital thermostat. When I went to check it out online I saw the following: "System configurations:
    2 - 5 wire single stage gas, oil, or electric systems"

Does that mean this is intended for a single stage system, not a 2 stage? I look at the other model #'s like say the 9615 and they say the following: "System configurations:
    Multi-stage gas, oil or electric heating/ cooling syatems (up to two stage heat, two stage cool)"

Need advice - will this properly operate my 2 stage furnace?

Thanks.

I'm not a York dealer, so I don't know specific model numbers.
    However...
    Many furnaces control 2nd stage through an on-board timer, so a single stage thermostat is all that is required.

Your dealer will know if your furnace requires 2 stage.

Just ask him.

Unless you want to defeat much of the advantage of 2 stage heat, use a 2 stage stat. Tell the dealer to put a 9615 or other 2 stage stat on.

It will work but I would opt for the true two-stage thermostat. This may mean your contractor has to make some wiring modifications probably at extra cost.

Extra Cost ?

Originally posted by johnl45
    It will work but I would opt for the true two-stage thermostat. This may mean your contractor has to make some wiring modifications probably at extra cost.
    If the contractor failed to disclose the need for additional wiring or new wiring to control a 2 stage tstat at this time I would say he needs to eat it and provide it free of charge.

True most equi9pment mfg provide a timer to control two stage operation but this is not true two stage control.... The tstat needs to know the setpoint to efficently control 2 stage calls for heat not a dam timer !
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Although that furnace board timer is settable at 10, 15, or 20 minutes, you'll be more comfortable if you have them install a 2 stage stat, after all, your paying for comfort when you get a 2 stage furnace.

Since he didn't plan on a 2 stage stat, it may cost you alittle more then the original quote for him to do it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?