Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lennox Pulse. Scary???

What is so scary about a Lennox Pulse furnace. Our company wont even take the call if its a Pulse. Do you have to be certified to work on them? Is there a special class you have to take? It just seems like my company is missing out on a chance to sell a furnace.

Just wondering. Thanks.

God bless the Pulse.

A pulse is in a league of its own. It doesn't operate anything like all other high efficiency furnaces do. Nor does it have the standard components of the 90+ you are used to -
    A honest to goodness spark plug?
    A gas diaphragm and an air diaphragm?
    A little piece of crap inducer draft motor that only runs prepurge and post purge?
    The lennox pulse is craaaaaazy.

I happen to be able to get parts for the pulse very easy and have lots of experience working on them. If you can't get the parts or haven't spent hours of diagnosing the stupidest little things a pulse can do - stay away.

Oh, yeah. there is that whole carbon monoxide thing lennox had going on with a few years of their heat exchangers. I can see some guys not wanting to deal with the liability of saying "looks good" only to have a CO problem down the road.

Go to youtube and search the pulse-jet engine - this is the technology that is the basis of the pulse furnace.

last winter i ended up going to auto parts store just to get a tool to pull the "spark plug" on one. i wanted to just cut a hole right thru the side of the unit but that wouldnt have gone over well with the home owner. I would rather stay away from them. in the past it has been hard to get Lennox parts in San Diego but I believe they have recently begun to have a larger presence in SD.

Thanks guys, I guess I should just listen to my second generation owner, and just let it go.

At this point its not worth buying any tools needed to work on a pulse or taking any training. Theres not enough of them left to make it worth your time/money. Its like buying the tools/training to work on a Model T. Not worth it unless its your hobby.

I've seen two of these in the last few years. Both times I told the customer about the dangers with the furnace and that they need to have a qualified technician with the proper tools come out and inspect it for safety. Both times they just told me to put a new furnace in.

And Before The Pulse

The HydroTherm Pulse Boiler. If it wasn't for the leaky heat-exchangers the Pulses were in a league of their own.

My old pulse "heat exchanger" is now a garden ornament in the backyard, complete with it's spark plug........LOL....and I still have the modified wrenches for the sensor and spark plug.......those were the days.....

I was fortunate enough to be part of Lennox's massive HX pressure testing for all Pulses produced from something like '82 to '89 or something like that. All summer long I pressure tested the Pulse's HX and then if it didn't hold pressure we'd change out the HXs.
    All summer long.
    Good times.
    I could change them out in my sleep.

yeah, they are wierd and wonderful machines. there are a few still out there. can you say that about the other first generation 90s (duotherm, clair megasave)?

Rheem Drum the r is silent
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronforprez View Post
    I was fortunate enough to be part of Lennox's massive HX pressure testing for all Pulses produced from something like '82 to '89 or something like that. All summer long I pressure tested the Pulse's HX and then if it didn't hold pressure we'd change out the HXs.
    All summer long.
    Good times.
    I could change them out in my sleep.
    They don't have to "hold" pressure anymore. You buy this kit and pressurize to 4 PSI if there is ANYTHING left after 15 minutes they consider it good.
    How much is it an hour?

Lots of them left around here. Not too tough once you learn em.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast