Hello; I need some help with my trane HVAC unit. I recently replaced an electric hot water heater. there were 3/8 copper lines from the cold water supply and bottom of the heater drain that I traced to the outside HVAC condensor. When I re piped the new heater I moved the line that was teed into the bottom heater drain valve to the top hot water supply since it was easier to tee it in there. How is this loop used by the system and will moving the line from the bottom of the HW heater to the top affect the hvac operation. I have limited knowledge on this subject and could use some help. Thanks

For me personally, I need more info.

Is this a commercial application, what was the heater you replaced, and is there a pump in line on this?

this sounds almost like a bogus setup for a heating water coil on a air handler? but I have no freaking idea at this time with the info provided.

Regards

Is there a check valve in that line anywhere? Could be a primitive tempering setup to recover heat from condenser, to preheat water for water heater? The usual setup for a gravity loop in a hot water system is to take off the top at the hot supply, and return a drop down low to a tee in the drain fitting, as you described-except you have your takeoff on the cold side. But you probably did change the dynamics by moving the line from the bottom to the outlet.

Additional info

This is a residential unit Lines go to a device called an "energy conservation unit". it contains a circulator pump.

[Edited by w2lew on 12-02-2005 at 09:58 AM]

Problem solved. Thanks to those who responded

what was the solution?